MKE Lofts is a mixed-use building in downtown Milwaukee. It was formerly known as the Posner Building and was for years almost entirely vacant, with the only tenant being Mo’s Irish Pub.
The building was converted to an apartment building in 2015 by HKS Holdings. The $23.5 million project was financed by a $13.75 million loan from WHEDA. As a requirement of that loan, 20 percent of the units are set aside for individuals making less than or equal to 80% of Milwaukee County’s median income.
Underground parking is available in the building, as well as parking stalls at an adjacent city-owned garage.
Prior building owner Johnny Vassallo worked on redeveloping the building for many years. In late 2012, Vassallo announced a project similar to the one proposed by HKS that he was seeking financing and development assistance for.
In 2008, Vassallo proposed converting the building into a hotel, likely a Holiday Inn, in partnership with another developer. Those plans fell through in May of that year.
The building was known as the Caswell Building until 1982. The name was changed to Posner Building at that point, and then MKE Lofts in 2015.
- Apr 21st, 2017 by Jeramey Jannene
- Jan 20th, 2017 by Jeramey Jannene
- Jan 10th, 2017 by Jeramey Jannene
- Aug 3rd, 2016 by Jeramey Jannene
- May 26th, 2016 by Michael Horne
- May 5th, 2016 by Jeramey Jannene
Press Releases Referencing MKE Lofts
- Statement Regarding Downtown Gentlemen’s Club - Apr 24th, 2017 by Milwaukee Downtown BID 21
- Milwaukee Downtown names its 2016 Downtown Achievement Award winners - May 20th, 2016 by Milwaukee Downtown BID 21
- Apartments, retail development proposed for Park East site - Dec 30th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Posner Building transformed into MKE Lofts Downtown with $23.5 million development - Sep 14th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Gov. Walker’s historic tax credit cap proposal removed from budget - Jul 7th, 2015 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Sean Ryan
- Developer follows downtown growth west - May 23rd, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Posner Building will have some moderate-income apartments - May 13th, 2014 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Downtown Posner Building to become apartments - May 1st, 2014 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Vassallo plans Posner redevelopment - Dec 14th, 2012 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Sean Ryan
- Johnny V hangs on to Posner Building - Jan 24th, 2010 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Rich Kirchen
- Downtown Holiday Inn project is dead - May 6th, 2008 - BizTimes
- Caswell Changes Name at 75 - Dec 18th, 1982 - Milwaukee Sentinel