Milwaukee neighborhood on the city’s south side. The neighborhood is centered on S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
From the 1981 Landmarks Commission/Department of City Development report…
The Bay View Historic District is a portion of the east side of the original village and includes approximately 495 structures, almost all residential. There is also one small park in the area. Most of the existing structures were built between 1870 and 1915. Few were designed by architects; many are simple cottages and bungalows. Probably the most historically significant structure remaining in the district is the residence at 2590 South Superior Street build about 1870-1870 for Warren Brinton, foundry supervisor at the mill, and wife Beulah Brinton, a cousin of Eber Brock Ward. The Brinton residence played an important role in the community’s development. It housed Bay View’s first lending library and Milwaukee area’s first practical social center, perhaps the first of it’s kind in the United States. Beulah Brinton and her son published the Bay View Weekly Herald in the 1880’s. The small park in the area is named Beulah Brinton Park.
The frame church at 2739 South Superior Street, now owned by the Christian Science Society, was erected in 1873 by the Welsh Congregational Church workers from Wales in 1968. The lot had been owned by Elijah Estes and there is still a stipulation in the deed that it be reserved for religious purposes. The district’s Pryor Avenue spring is another important landmark because it is the only remaining Artesian well in Milwaukee.
- May 27th, 2016 by Joey Grihalva
- May 27th, 2016 by Andrea Waxman
- May 25th, 2016 by Mitchel Writt
- May 24th, 2016 by Michael Horne
- May 24th, 2016 by Jeramey Jannene
- May 15th, 2016 by Newaukee
Press Releases Referencing Bay View
May 25th, 2016 by Made in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin – June 3rd 2016
May 23rd, 2016 by Betty Brinn Children’s Museum
Event accepting maker applications May 23 through August 1, 2016
May 20th, 2016 by Bob Donovan
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan May 20, 2016
May 19th, 2016 by WiRED Properties
Milhaus and WiRed Properties Partner on New Development
Mayor Barrett Announces Milwaukee’s Harbor District Awarded National Grant to Improve Public Access to the WaterfrontMay 12th, 2016 by Tom Barrett
Revitalizing the economy and ecology of the Harbor District was identified as a catalytic project in Mayor Barrett’s ReFresh Milwaukee Sustainability Plan.
Apr 26th, 2016 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Jonah Roth of Milwaukee High School of the Arts
Proposed 69-unit apartment building for the site currently occupied by the Faust Music Building in Bay View
2501 S. Delaware Ave. is a building that houses At Random tavern in Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood.
Alterra – Bay View is an under construction coffee shop and cafe in Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood.
Dwell Bay View is an apartment building in Bay View.
Commercial building on S. Kinnickinnic Ave. The building would be demolished under a proposal to build a 69-unit apartment building by Dermond Property Investments (2202 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.).
Commercial building on Bay View's main street being redeveloped into a mixed-use building by Scott Genke.
St. Lucas is a Lutheran church in Bay View.
2171 S. Robinson Ave. is a proposed 288-unit apartment building complex for Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood
- Valley industrial buildings find new life as … industrial buildings - Nov 23rd, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Consulting firm to move into Pabst Professional Center - Nov 20th, 2015 - BizTimes - Corrinne Hess
- East side apartment building to be upgraded after sale - Nov 13th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Proposed Bay View ‘micro-hotel’ seeks $380,000 MEDC loan - Nov 9th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Milwaukee All-Star: Milwaukee Blacksmith Kent Knapp - Nov 8th, 2015 - OnMilwaukee.com
- Izumi’s building on Milwaukee’s east side sold to developer - Oct 29th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Klement Sausage Co. to move corporate offices to Pabst center downtown - Sep 30th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Prominent Bay View building to become a ‘micro-hotel,’ restaurant - Sep 29th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Zoning committee endorses Bay View apartment proposals - Sep 17th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Two apartment projects advance on northern edge of Bay View neighborhood - Aug 17th, 2015 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Sean Ryan
- Development in works for Bay View lot - Jun 19th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- King Building five-story apartment development plan abandoned - Nov 3rd, 2014 - Bay View Compass
- The Norman fire burns in the memories of former residents - May 21st, 2014 - OnMilwaukee.com - Molly Snyder
- More apartments proposed in Bay View - May 6th, 2014 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- King Building proposal includes retail space and 32 luxury apartments - Feb 26th, 2014 - Bay View Compass
- R.I.P. Bill Faust, Founder of Bay View’s Faust Music - Oct 20th, 2013 - Shepherd Express - Evan Rytlewski
- Milwaukee Talks: Eric Wagner of Diablos Rojos Restaurant Group - Sep 6th, 2008 - OnMilwaukee.com - Molly Snyder