Building Info

Charles Allis Art Museum. Photo by Dave Reid.

House-turned-museum on Milwaukee’s Lower East Side.

From the 1981 Landmarks Commission/Department of City Development report…

Constructed in 1909, the Allis House is a rectangular building, two and one-half stories high, with walls of mauve-brown Ohio brick trimmed with Lake Superior sandstone. The main hall has marble flooring and marble-paneled walls. The dining room and library are paneled with Honduras mahogany ; the living room woodwork is Circassian walnut. All three rooms retain their original furnishings. A marble staircase with bronze balusters and mahogany stair rail joins the main hall and second floor.

The Allis collection includes oriental porcelains, ceramics, and carvings; small bronzes dating from the Renaissance era and the 19th century; graphics by artists such as Albrecht Durer, Rembrandt and Whistler; 18th century French furniture; and landscapes by Gainsborough, Winslow Homer, Corot, and others.

Photos

Show All

Press Releases Referencing Charles Allis Art Museum