Milwaukee Invited To Apply For 2024 DNC
But some aren't happy the city must bid for convention in the first place.
The process to select the host of the 2024 Democratic National Convention is underway. More than 20 cities received letters last week inviting them to bid on the July 2024 convention.
It would give Milwaukee a do-over on the 2020 convention, an effectively virtual affair that was once touted to draw 55,000 visitors and create a $200 million economic impact.
A partnership, including Mayor Tom Barrett, Bucks vice president Alex Lasry, Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce president Tim Sheehy and Congresswoman Gwen Moore raised nearly $1 million to submit the city’s convention bid last time.
Will it bid again?
“I appreciate the invitation they’ve extended, and I will answer that Milwaukee remains interested in being a national political convention site,” said Barrett in a statement. “The formal process of assembling a bid for the 2024 Democratic National Convention requires quite a number of partners here in Milwaukee, and I will be consulting with those partners as we make decisions about moving forward.”
Milwaukee will need to woo a new slate of Democratic National Committee officials if it is to land the convention. Party chair Tom Perez was replaced by Jaime Harrison in January, and unlike Perez, whose wife is from Wauwatosa, Harrison has no obvious ties to Wisconsin.
But Harrison, as Fox 6 reported, was part of the site visit team last time and, in an April interview, acknowledged the “heartbreak” of the 2020 convention that wasn’t. Perez visited Milwaukee during the convention, but Joe Biden and Kamala Harris accepted the nomination from Delaware.
The Milwaukee County Democratic Party’s executive board doesn’t think the city should have to bid again.
Barrett, in May 2020, was frank about Milwaukee’s chances to land the convention again.
“What some people don’t understand is that to get the convention here in 2020 was the equivalent of playing an NBA basketball season,” said the mayor. “It’s kind of like saying the Bucks were in first place when this happened, just give them the crown in 2021.”
The Bucks did get the crown in 2021, but they had to play an entire basketball season to get it.
The 2024 convention is expected to be awarded in early 2023.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits.
- Milwaukee Businesses Pitch Republicans - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 23rd, 2023
- MKE 2024 Host Committee Launches New Requests for Proposals for Key Convention Services - MKE 2024 Host Committee - Jul 6th, 2023
- MKE24 to Hold “Convention Partner Fair” During RNC Summer Meeting - MKE 2024 Host Committee - Jul 6th, 2023
- Have A Firefighting Boat? City Needs One for Republican Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2023
- Ted Kellner Named New CEO of Republican National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 18th, 2023
- RNC Looking For Businesses To Partner With - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 20th, 2023
- Milwaukee Could Benefit From DNC in Chicago - Evan Casey - Apr 15th, 2023
- Milwaukee Wants 4,500 Police For RNC - Isiah Holmes - Apr 15th, 2023
- First GOP Presidential Debate Will Be In Milwaukee In August - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 23rd, 2023
- Milwaukee Will Host GOP Presidential Debate In Lead Up To RNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 2nd, 2023
Read more about 2024 RNC here
- Milwaukee Again Bidding To Host DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 28th, 2021
- Milwaukee Invited To Apply For 2024 DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 3rd, 2021
- City Hall: How Much Did DNC Cost Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 16th, 2020
- Get Your DNC Memorabilia - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Will Biden’s DNC Snub Hurt Him In State? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 24th, 2020
- Activist Coalition Holds Largest March of DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 21st, 2020
- DNC: Last Night Brings Little Exposure for Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 20th, 2020
- With DNC as Backdrop, A Discussion of Black Liberation - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- Suburban Protesters March From Tosa to DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- DNC: With A “Holy Mackerel” Tony Evers Kicks Off DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 19th, 2020
Read more about DNC here