Last Night Brings Little Exposure for Milwaukee
Tammy Baldwin and Tom Perez are only Milwaukee speakers Thursday.
The final night of the Democratic National Convention, when nominee Joe Biden accepted the nomination and delivered a closing speech, brought limited exposure for Milwaukee.
The speeches come as a sizable media contingent formed not in Milwaukee, but Wilmington, DE where Biden and his running mate Kamala Harris delivered their speeches. But neither city is seeing anywhere close to the 50,000 person, $200 million economic impact expected for Milwaukee pre-pandemic.
Speaking from a meeting room in the Wisconsin Center, Baldwin focused her remarks on health care.
She touted the Affordable Care Act allowing individuals to stay on their parents’ insurance until the age of 26.
“We got that done. And, yes, it was a big f’n deal,” said Baldwin, praising then-President Barack Obama and Biden’s work on the Affordable Care Act. “That’s the America I know. That’s the America I love. And that’s the America we will be with Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in the White House.”
“Here in Wisconsin, our state motto is just one word: ‘forward.’ This November, let’s move forward and never look back,” concluded Baldwin.
Off-stage, Baldwin and Perez were joined by Mayor Tom Barrett. The mayor opened the proceedings on Tuesday.
Tuesday also featured Perez delivering brief remarks, party secretary and Milwaukee political consultant Jason Rae calling the delegate roll and Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes announcing Wisconsin’s delegates.
— Tom Barrett (@Barrett4MKE) August 21, 2020
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- City Hall: How Much Did DNC Cost Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 16th, 2020
- Get Your DNC Memorabilia - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Will Biden’s DNC Snub Hurt Him In State? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 24th, 2020
- Activist Coalition Holds Largest March of DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 21st, 2020
- DNC: Last Night Brings Little Exposure for Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 20th, 2020
- With DNC as Backdrop, A Discussion of Black Liberation - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- Suburban Protesters March From Tosa to DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- DNC: With A “Holy Mackerel” Tony Evers Kicks Off DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 19th, 2020
- DNC Rural Council Snubs Wisconsin - Henry Redman - Aug 19th, 2020
- Pop-Up Poetry Protest Performs Downtown - Ethan Duran - Aug 19th, 2020
Read more about DNC here