Council Wants Ann Wilson Off Fire & Police Commission
9-6 vote against her reappointment. But they lack the authority to remove her.
After four months of debate, including an Inspector General’s report and closed session meetings, the Common Council made it official. Members voted 9-6 to reject the reappointment of Fire & Police Commission (FPC) member Ann Wilson.
But the vote is largely symbolic.
The issue with Wilson isn’t specific to her. At multiple times throughout the past few months, council members went out their way to point out that they like Wilson, 73, as a person. She’s served the city for years as manager of the Hillside Terrace Resource Center for the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee.
“I don’t want it to go without saying that Ann Wilson has been a great public servant,” said Alderman Ashanti Hamilton on Tuesday. Hamilton was joined in voting for her reappointment by council members Nik Kovac, Nikiya Dodd, Milele A. Coggs, Khalif Rainey and Russell W. Stamper, II.
But council members, even those still backing Wilson, are frustrated with the fallout from the hasty demotion of Police Chief Alfonso Morales and other issues at the Fire & Police Commission.
Wilson is the first FPC member to appear before the council for re-appointment since the August vote. Two of the seven members, Raymond Robakowski and Steven M. DeVougas, have resigned. Morales has already secured one court ruling in his favor and is expected to eventually secure a substantial settlement from the city.
Mayor Tom Barrett reappointed Wilson in December.
Wilson has refuted those findings.
“The only thing I would like to say, is that all the things that have been said, some are true, some are not, we have been through all of that, but I would like to serve again,” said Wilson on March 8th during a final committee appearance.
Barrett did previously submit a replacement for Wilson. In early 2019 the council rejected a potential replacement, retired Milwaukee Police Department employee Denise Bartlett, after she publicly sparred with the council.
All commission appointees, a part-time post responsible for hiring, firing, discipline and policy oversight of the police and fire departments, are nominated by the mayor and confirmed by the council.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- City Hall: Bree Spencer Named To Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2022
- FPC Suspends Residency Preference For Police, Fire Promotions - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 7th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Endorses Dana World-Patterson’s Appointment To FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 2nd, 2021
- City Hall: Dana World-Patterson Nominated to FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 9th, 2021
- City Hall: Jeffrey Norman Named Permanent Chief of Police - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 4th, 2021
- Morales Named Fitchburg Police Chief - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 29th, 2021
- City Hall: Police Chief Search Has One Candidate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 6th, 2021
- City Hall: FPC Restarting Police Chief Search - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2021
- City Hall: Council Approves Morales Settlement - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2021
- City Hall: Morales Payout Rises Still Higher - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2021
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here