Bree Spencer Named To Fire & Police Commission
Acting Mayor Johnson makes his first appointment to police and fire oversight body.
Acting Mayor Cavalier Johnson is nominating Bree Spencer to serve on the city’s powerful Fire & Police Commission (FPC).
The commission is responsible for hiring, firing, discipline and policy setting for the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) and Milwaukee Fire Department. All of the appointments are made by the mayor and confirmed by the council. Spencer would be the seventh member of the commission, filling the seat vacated by retired firefighter Everett Cocroft. He relocated to Las Vegas in late 2021.
Spencer is currently the policing program manager at The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a national coalition focused on civil and human rights. She previously spent nearly a decade at Milwaukee-based public safety nonprofit Safe & Sound in various leadership positions.
“I am very pleased that Bree has accepted my invitation to be nominated as a Fire and Police Commissioner,” said Johnson in a statement. “Her knowledge and her experience are a great complement to the commission membership. She will bring both practical and objective perspectives to the group’s business.”
Her appointment would leave only a single member, Fred Crouther, who was on the board during the botched demotion of police chief Alfonso Morales. Crouther’s term expires in 2024.
Spencer would join a slate of 2021 appointees: Amanda Avalos, LaNelle Ramey, Joan Kessler, Edward Fallone and Dana World-Patterson. A full-time staff led by executive director Leon W. Todd, III works with the commission.
Commissioners serve in a part-time capacity, earning $6,600 per year for participating in regularly-scheduled, evening meetings. They are appointed for a five-year term.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits.
More about the Fire & Police Commission's Troubles
- City Hall: Johnson Names Former Deputy City Attorney To Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2022
- City Hall: Washington, Burgos Join Fire-Police Board - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 20th, 2022
- City Hall: Kessler Resigns From Fire-Police Board - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 19th, 2022
- City Hall: Committee Backs Johnson’s FPC Nominees - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 9th, 2022
- City Hall: Mayor Acts To Create Full Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 12th, 2022
- City Hall: Bree Spencer Named To Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2022
- FPC Suspends Residency Preference For Police, Fire Promotions - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 7th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Endorses Dana World-Patterson’s Appointment To FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 2nd, 2021
- City Hall: Dana World-Patterson Nominated to FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 9th, 2021
- City Hall: Jeffrey Norman Named Permanent Chief of Police - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 4th, 2021
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here