Most Popular What’s It Worth?
Leading the way were stories on an 1886 firehouse and a giant refrigerated warehouse.
Milwaukee’s Downtown and adjacent neighborhoods have seen a great amount of redevelopment in 2019 and two of the most popular What’s It Worth? stories of the year were in that area. One was a rather small scale renovation of an 1886 Milwaukee fire house that for nearly a century had been a warehouse. Today it is being converted into a residence. Another popular story gave the history of an old warehouse (essentially a giant refrigerator) that was also bought for eventual conversion. Other columns looked at a long-dead mall on the northwest side that awaits its fate, and a huge downtown office building, mostly empty this century, that is to be re-imagined, and equipped with a new three story addition atop holding a hotel. Other stories looked at a former bank that’s now a hostel in Riverwest, and a number of old mansions that are now getting new tenants and being repurposed.
All of these and more were popular with you the reader, and I am grateful for your interest and for your comments and suggestions. I would also like to acknowledge the staff of the City of Milwaukee Development Center, the Assessor’s Office, the Municipal Research Library and the Historic Preservation Commission. They are to be thanked for providing me with source research documents that are essential for finding the story behind old buildings, and which can be found nowhere else. In this age of Google it is nice to know that there is information out there that can only be accessed by microfiche reader or in paper files and bound volumes of documents. This adds to the spirit of adventure behind What’s It Worth? I thank you for your support of this project over the year, and look forward to seeing what the new year and new decade brings.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits.
- Top 10 of 2019: Most Popular Plenty of Horne Columns - Michael Horne - Dec 31st, 2019
- The State of Politics: Top 10 Political Stories of 2019 - Steven Walters - Dec 30th, 2019
- Top 10 of 2019: Most Popular What’s It Worth? - Michael Horne - Dec 29th, 2019
- Top 10 of 2019: Most Popular Friday Photos Articles - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 27th, 2019
- Top 10 of 2019: Most Popular Murphy’s Law Columns - Bruce Murphy - Dec 26th, 2019
- Top 10: Most Popular “City Hall” Articles of 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 25th, 2019
- Top 10 of 2019: Most Popular Eyes on Milwaukee Stories - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2019
Read more about Top Articles of 2019 here