Airbnb Says Milwaukee is Fastest Growing Destination
You can stay in the Boat House, an East Side mansion or a Riverwest living room via the popular service.
Milwaukee finds itself in an unusual place – atop the list of trending travel destinations on home-sharing service Airbnb.
Due in large part to the Democratic National Convention (July 2020) and the Ryder Cup (September 2020 in Kohler), Milwaukee has seen 729 percent growth in year-over-year bookings.
Coming in behind Milwaukee on the list are Bilbao, Spain and Buriram, Thailand. The only US locations on the 20 city list are Eugene, Oregon and Cape Canaveral, Florida.
“This historic gem on the shores of Lake Michigan often slips under the radar but has a terrific bar and restaurant scene and fascinating cultural attractions that include a Calatrava-designed art museum. And with over 105 miles of scenic bike lanes, it’s easy to see why Milwaukee is experiencing an upsurge in interest among guests on Airbnb,” says Airbnb’s release.
Milwaukee’s list-topping growth could be a response to the national criticism that the city did not have enough hotel rooms to host the Democratic National Convention (DNC). Some state delegations, which must stay in larger hotels, are poised to be stationed as far away as northern Illinois near Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. And while that leaves a number of hotels in Milwaukee for smaller delegations, the thousands of people anticipated to come outside of the delegates themselves appear to be turning to the home-sharing service to find unique or affordable places to stay.
But that’s not a situation unique to Milwaukee. Airbnb’s history is intertwined with large political events, including the 2009 inauguration of President Barack Obama where the founders engaged in a guerilla marketing campaign to help establish the service. It provided accommodations for 200 guests in 2009, more than quintupled that figure for Obama’s second inauguration and did more than ten times that (15,100 guests) in 2017 for Donald Trump‘s inauguration and the Women’s March.
We reported in September on a large Westown apartment complex that was having units converted to short-term rentals by an Airbnb-focused startup. A seven-bedroom Gothic mansion, longlisted for sale, is also listed on Airbnb, but not available during the DNC (book it for $995/night in April).
The cheapest entire home accommodation available near Downtown during the DNC found by Urban Milwaukee is $300 night before tax or cleaning fees. Should one be okay sharing space, you can stay overnight in a Riverwest living room for $237 per night or a guest room with private bath in Brewers Hill for $204 per night. Prices drop for shared spaces the further away one gets from Downtown.
The Boat House
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Road to the DNC
- DNC Postponed To Mid-August - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 2nd, 2020
- Democratic National Convention Committee Announces Date Change in Response to Unprecedented Coronavirus Outbreak - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Apr 2nd, 2020
- DNC “Should Not Be Our Priority,” Barrett Says - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 1st, 2020
- Biden Says Convention May Be Postponed - Corri Hess - Apr 1st, 2020
- Ald. Coggs: Discussion needed on whether city can deliver services and meet DNC marks during COVID-19 pandemic - Ald. Milele Coggs - Mar 30th, 2020
- DNC Bar Time Bill Passes Senate Committee - Laurel White - Mar 12th, 2020
- The State of Politics: How Will State Party Pick DNC Delegates? - Steven Walters - Mar 9th, 2020
- What the DNC Could Mean for Locals - Sam Woods - Feb 29th, 2020
- DNC Host Committee Hires New Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Urban Ideas: Make MCTS Free During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- City Hall: Police To Lease Two Buildings During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 24th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: DNC Will Restrict Construction Projects - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 11th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNCC Names Construction and Event Management Teams for 2020 Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNC Delegate Welcome Party To Be Held at Summerfest Grounds - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Milwaukee DNC Leaders Fired by Board - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- “Toxic” Work Environment at DNC Cited - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- Watch: Wisconsin Gun Violence Survivor, Khary Penebaker, Featured in Mike Bloomberg 2020 Campaign Ad Highlighting Urgent Need to Prevent Gun Violence - Mike Bloomberg - Jan 31st, 2020
- DNC Needs 15,000 Volunteers - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Fiserv Forum Workers to Get $15/Hour - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2020
- City Hall: DNC Security Zone Includes Almost All of Westown - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2020
- DNC Chair Talks Healthcare in Milwaukee - Corri Hess - Jan 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Seeking $50 Million To Pay for DNC Security - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 16th, 2020
- Mark Pocan Endorses Bernie Sanders for President - Bernie Sanders - Jan 16th, 2020
- 500 Media Members Get DNC Preview - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2020
- Mayor Bloomberg Comes to Town - Graham Kilmer - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mike Bloomberg Rebuilding ‘Blue Wall’ in PA, MI, WI - Mike Bloomberg - Dec 21st, 2019
- City Hall: 4,000 Police Officers Will Guard DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- Security Will Be Tight At DNC - Corri Hess - Nov 14th, 2019
- Tom Steyer Comes to Town - Dave Fidlin - Nov 8th, 2019
- Airport Prepares for 2020 Convention - Corri Hess - Oct 28th, 2019
- Barrett, Moore to Lead Growing DNC Team - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2019
- DNC Team Pitches Civic Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Airbnb Says Milwaukee is Fastest Growing Destination - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2019
- Coalition to March on the DNC Looks to Rally Local Progressive Organizations and Demand Permits for Peaceful Assembly - Coalition to March on the DNC - Oct 10th, 2019
- Business, Property Owners Discuss How To Benefit From DNC - Corri Hess - Sep 24th, 2019
- Presidential Candidate Klobuchar Visits City - Alana Watson - Sep 20th, 2019
- Supermajority Organizations to Launch Cross-Country Bus Tour to Mobilize Women Ahead of 2020 - Supermajority - Sep 4th, 2019
- DNC Official Downplays Illinois Hotels - Corri Hess - Aug 26th, 2019
- Sanders Leads Dems in State Funds Raised - Robin Bravender - Aug 20th, 2019
- Democrats Speak at Latino Convention - Jim Cryns - Jul 12th, 2019
- DNC Emphasizing Security, Inclusivity for 2020 Convention - Dave Fidlin - Jun 20th, 2019