What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC?
Council, led by Bauman, pushes for city to have citywide, coordinated plan for convention.
Alderman Robert Bauman doesn’t want the city to be caught replacing a water main Downtown or undertaking similar public works projects while the city hosts the Democratic National Convention in 2020.
The event, which is anticipated to draw more than 50,000 people to Milwaukee, is expected to fill the city’s streets, as well as its hotel rooms, and push the transportation network to its fullest extent.
“What’s the plan to develop the plan?” Bauman asked Department of Public Works Commissioner Jeff Polenske at a meeting of the council’s Public Works Committee. “Are we going to do a massive, high impact initiative this summer?”
“From the public works side, we’re actively looking at our schedule this year, our schedule next year,” said Polenske.
The commissioner said the city is preparing a list of projects that could be advanced if the resources are available. He said the focus is on identifying projects, like high-impact paving, that don’t require substantial design time: “We do have a number of high-impact projects coming up this summer on some of the key things that will be focal points to the DNC. That was obviously planned before the convention was awarded.”
“What is our radius?” asked Ald. Mark Borkowski. “The bottom line is people will be in more than just Downtown. We could have a sparkling Downtown, but if our surrounding neighborhoods aren’t getting the attention they deserve then we’re losing part of it.”
Polenske, a resident of Borkowski’s district, agreed and said his department would be focused beyond Downtown.
But the commissioner isn’t the only person calling the shots. “I’m one piece of the team,” said Polenske. Joe Solmonese, who previously ran the Human Rights Campaign, has been hired as CEO of the 2020 Democratic National Convention Committee. Polenske’s boss, Mayor Tom Barrett, remains a co-chair on The Good Land Committee.
The council committee held the communication file to be able to easily call Polenske and others for future updates on convention planning. “I just wanted to get ahead of this and stay ahead,” said Bauman.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
Related Legislation: File 181925
More about the 2020 Democratic National Convention
- City Hall: What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2019
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Transportation: Streetcar Extension Planned To Start in September - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Milwaukee Submits Bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018