Hamilton Ally May Run for His Seat
Marvin Pratt's daughter may run. Ald. Hamilton's bid for mayor now seems all but certain.
Council president and Alderman Ashanti Hamilton‘s potential run for mayor appears more and more likely. The daughter of a political ally has confirmed she may run for his aldermanic seat.
Andrea Pratt, daughter of former acting mayor and council president Marvin Pratt, is considering running for Hamilton’s 1st District council seat. Hamilton and Marvin Pratt are longtime allies, Hamilton having won the election to fill Pratt’s seat when the council veteran ran for mayor in 2004.
Andre Pratt told Urban Milwaukee: “Yes, I am considering running,” before declining to answer any other questions. Pratt, 41, currently serves as the parent coordinator at Milwaukee Public Schools‘ Rufus King High School.
The news comes just weeks after Hamilton filed campaign finance paperwork to fundraise for mayor, raising his contribution limit from $770 to $6,000 per contributor. “People from across our City have expressed a need for new leadership and a true vision for the future of Milwaukee,” he said in a statement at the time. “Many people are asking me to prepare to be a candidate for mayor. I am currently taking this request under consideration and I expect to make a decision and have a formal announcement in the coming weeks. The committee registration filing is the first step in that direction.”
It’s unlikely that Pratt would be running for Hamilton’s aldermanic seat unless she was sure he wasn’t running for reelection.
Marvin Pratt, who is still active at City Hall through his work representing license applicants, served on the Common Council from 1986 through 2004. He was acting mayor following the resignation of John Norquist, serving from January 1st, 2004 through April 15th, 2004. He served three months as interim Milwaukee County Executive from February through April 2011 following an appointment by then-board chair Lee Holloway to fill the rest of Scott Walker‘s term. He holds the distinction of being the first African American to hold either office, as well as the first person in Milwaukee’s history to have served in both roles.
Should Andrea Pratt run and win she’ll find a familiar face in City Hall. Her ex-husband Dameon Ellzey is an aide to Hamilton ally, Ald. Russell W. Stamper, II. Their daughter Ayanna Ellzey previously served on the Common Council’s Youth Council, which is made up of young aspiring leaders who “represent young people in their aldermanic districts,” the website for this council notes.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the 2020 Mayoral Race
- City Hall: Meet the Candidates for City Offices - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Conservative in Mayor Race Ejected - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Taylor Blames FPC Problems on Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2019
- Senator Taylor calls for Barrett to resign over confusion and mismanagement of Fire and Police Commission - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Dec 5th, 2019
- Team Taylor Welcomes Tom To The 2020 Mayoral Race - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Nov 20th, 2019
- City Hall: Barrett Officially Declares Re-Election Bid - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2019
- Statement from the Barrett for Milwaukee Campaign: Lena Taylor’s Misinformation Campaign - Press Release - Nov 15th, 2019
- City Hall: Taylor Slams Barrett Over Residency - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 15th, 2019
- The Devastating Results of Residency Law Change - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Nov 15th, 2019
- Back in the News: Poll Shows Barrett Way Ahead - Bruce Murphy - Nov 12th, 2019
- City Hall: Zielinski for Mayor Bus Ads Debut - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2019
- City Hall: Ashanti Hamilton Ends Mayoral Bid - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- City Hall: Hamilton Could Still Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Hall: Lena Taylor Announces Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 3rd, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Should Barrett Worry About Reelection? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 29th, 2019
- City Hall: Will He or Won’t He Run for Mayor? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 30th, 2019
- City Hall: Will Lena Taylor Run for Mayor? - Jeramey Jannene - May 20th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Beat: Episode 007 – Mayoral Candidate Tony Zielinski - Urban Milwaukee - Jan 8th, 2019
- City Hall: Hamilton Ally May Run for His Seat - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2018
- City Hall: Ashanti Hamilton Files for Mayoral Run - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2018
- City Hall: Zielinski Ramps Up Mayoral Campaign - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 10th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Barrett Will Run for Reelection - Bruce Murphy - Jun 28th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Zielinski Will Run for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2017