Slow To Question, Slow To Respond
"The lack of leadership, at the highest level of city government, continues to frustrate Milwaukee residents."
(MILWAUKEE) – After the most recent public listening session of Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales, a number of questions posed to the Chief remain unanswered. Of particular note is the issue of a leaked video interview of a criminal investigation attended by Fire & Police Commission Chairman Steven DeVougas. The public has repeatedly asked how the leak occurred and who would be held accountable. In response to recent calls from city officials for an investigation into the matter, Sen. Lena Taylor released the following statement:
“The lack of leadership, at the highest level of city government, continues to frustrate Milwaukee residents. Nearly 45 days after the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel first posted a story about the leaked video of the criminal investigation of Mr. Haywood, we are just seeing formal calls for an investigation into the MPD’s behavior by the top officials in the city. They have been slow to question the behavior of the Milwaukee Police Department in this matter and slow to respond to the public calls for answers.
It is clear that the video was leaked to further an agenda. It is clear that someone at MPD was willing to use both the victim and the accused to further that agenda. It is clear that the video was leaked by someone in the Milwaukee Police Department. What’s not clear is why that the Chief is dragging his feet on an investigation, said very little about what is being done, and seems in no real hurry to resolve this matter.
Adding to that frustration is a Mayor that doesn’t seem to take such a leak seriously, only publicly releasing a set of questions regarding the video surfacing after being prodded by local media. Leadership, accountability, and tone for the MPD begins at the top. 45 days to start the process to publicly “ask questions” is unacceptable”.
Lena Taylor for Mayor
- City Hall: Barrett, Taylor Debate Remotely for Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 30th, 2020
- 9 Election Takeaways - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 19th, 2020
- Vote Tuesday: Mayoral Candidates - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Presenting the “Real State of the City” - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 12th, 2020
- State of the Other City Address - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Feb 10th, 2020
- Barrett dodges debate? - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Feb 9th, 2020
- Slow To Question, Slow To Respond - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 30th, 2020
- City Hall: Meet the Candidates for City Offices - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Conservative in Mayor Race Ejected - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 15th, 2020
- City Hall: Taylor Blames FPC Problems on Mayor - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2019
Read more about 2020 Mayoral Race here