Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention
Convention will generate $200 million in economic impact; shine global spotlight on city
MILWAUKEE–The Democratic National Committee (DNC) announced today that Milwaukee has been selected as the host city for the 2020 Democratic National Convention, slated for July 13-16, 2020.
“This is a great day for the city of Milwaukee and for the state of Wisconsin,” Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said. “Milwaukee is a first-class city, and we are ready to showcase Milwaukee on one of the largest stages in the world.”
The selection represents the first return to the Midwest for the DNC Convention since Chicago in 1996; it’s the first-ever major national party convention ever for Wisconsin.
“There is no better place to showcase the Democratic Party’s vision for the future than in Wisconsin,” U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin said. “The Midwest is a critical battleground and will be key to securing a better future for America.”
“The convention represents a tremendous opportunity for Milwaukee and Wisconsin to be on the world stage,” Governor Tony Evers said. “This is the chance to show the world what Wisconsin truly is: a great place to live, work, and visit.”
The convention is expected to draw more than 50,000 visitors and will have an estimated $200 million impact on the region.
“The DNC Convention presents a tremendous opportunity to build on Milwaukee’s rich history of diversity, inclusion, and innovation,” Lt. Governor Mandela Barnes said. “Our local entrepreneurs and strong neighborhoods are among Milwaukee’s greatest strengths, and a successful convention that includes these diverse partners will help communities throughout southeast Wisconsin thrive.”
There will be an estimated 1,500 events that will occur outside of the Fiserv Forum, presenting a multitude of opportunities for businesses and organizations throughout the Milwaukee area to benefit from the convention.
“This will be a huge economic opportunity for everyone in and around Milwaukee,” Congresswoman Gwen Moore said. “We need businesses big and small, from all over the city and around the region to play an important part in making this event successful. We are committed to making sure that everyone who wants to be involved gets the opportunity to be part of this effort.”
The preparations for the convention have already begun in earnest with the City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, and the State of Wisconsin preparing to work with federal agencies to ensure the safety and security of all who attend the convention. Milwaukee’s corporate community, nonprofits, and small businesses will all be involved; and thousands of volunteers will be needed to help ensure the convention runs smoothly.
“Milwaukee will be ready to host a tremendous experience for all of our visitors and residents,” Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele said. “We will feature Milwaukee as a place that respects and values all people, a core belief of the Democratic Party – it’s an event I’ll be thrilled for us to host.”
The Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee DNC 2020 Host Committee will be Mayor Tom Barrett, Senator Tammy Baldwin, Governor Tony Evers, Lt. Governor Mandela Barnes, Congresswoman Gwen Moore, and County Executive Chris Abele.
More about the 2020 Democratic National Convention
- Trump Picks Camp David Over Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2019
- City Hall: Will DNC Convention Help Small Businesses? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 25th, 2019
- Perez Sees Regional Impact For DNC Convention - Corri Hess - Apr 24th, 2019
- City Hall: What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2019
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Transportation: Streetcar Extension Planned To Start in September - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Milwaukee Submits Bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018