Alderman Zielinski tells Mayor Barrett: Cut the streetcar, don’t cut protective services
Statement by Alderman Tony Zielinski
Yesterday, Mayor Tom Barrett laid out his budget plans which include cuts to Milwaukee’s Police and Fire Departments, all while the mayor continues to spend recklessly on the streetcar project. I am appalled that he would cut police and fire positions without first cutting exorbitant discretionary spending on the streetcar. Where are Mayor Barrett’s priorities?
It is abundantly clear what dire financial straits the city is in, yet the mayor continues to promote discretionary spending with the streetcar. The mayor is asking the state for a half-percent sales tax to help Milwaukee with its financial problems. However, the state believes the streetcar is a waste of taxpayer dollars and has inserted a budget amendment restricting the use of TIF dollars, so the city cannot use that money for the operation of the streetcar. The mayor has to understand that the state will not help the city as long as he continues to spend money we don’t have on the streetcar.
The mayor has failed to identify a long-term funding source for the streetcar’s operation and maintenance, and our police and fire departments could be footing the bill with their jobs. I truly believe public safety has to remain our highest priority, and I will continue to fight for the people of Milwaukee.
I am calling on the mayor to commit to no future expansion of the streetcar. Mr. Mayor, will you commit to no future expansion of the streetcar?
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Transportation: First Streetcar Smart Kiosks Installed - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 3rd, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: Lakefront Streetcar Extension Scheduled for June 2022 Opening - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2020
- Transportation: Should Milwaukee Stop The Hop? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2020
- Transportation: The Hop Now Wears a Mask - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 18th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Kiosks Could Bring In $500,000 Annually - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 20th, 2020
- Thanks A Million, Hop Riders! - The Hop - Feb 19th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in January Versus 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Tony Zielinski
No money for police, lead hazard issues or infrastructure, but let’s pump up the streetcar we can’t affordNov 1st, 2019 by Ald. Tony Zielinski
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski November 1, 2019
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski October 23, 2019