The Wells Building is a 15-story office building in Downtown Milwaukee. It’s highly recognizable not only because of its prominent location on the intersection of N. Milwaukee St. and E. Wisconsin Ave., but because the top of the building is significantly different than the bottom because of a removed cornice and significantly altered facade.
The building is classified by the city assessor as a Class B office building.
The first-floor of the building is occupied by a Cousins Subs shop as well as . The Milwaukee Athletic Club was located in the building from 1902 until they moved to their current home in 1917.
The building serves as a large connection point for internet service in the Milwaukee area and is featured prominently in the book Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet.
The building was built by Daniel Wells, for whom Wells St. is also named. The building was sold by Wells’ estate to Towne Realty (today Zilber Ltd) in 1970, long after Wells’ himself had passed. In 2011, Zilber sold the building to Ascendant Holdings LLC, led by Eric Nordeen and Matthew Prescott, for $2.9 million. At the time of the transaction the building was approximately 40% occupied.
As of late 2013, Ascendant has invested $3.5 million in the property, including on a new heating and air conditioning system.
ROW Excavation Utility.
Content referencing Wells Building
Flowers in Walker's Point, Piper Jaffray & Co. to the Wells Building, a bakery for The BrixFeb 1st, 2018 by Founders 3
Paves the way for growth across state linesAug 2nd, 2016 by Press Release