DNC Emphasizing Security, Inclusivity for 2020 Convention
CEO of next year’s 2020 committee says he wants the world to see Milwaukee as locals do.
It might still be a year off, but Joe Solmonese is quick to point out there is much work to be done behind-the-scenes as Milwaukee enters the international spotlight and hosts the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
And the planning, he said, will be picking up steam at a breakneck pace.
Solmonese, a longtime political strategist, was named chief executive officer of the 2020 Democratic National Convention committee. For his vision of the convention, he said, “We want the world to see what we see, right here in Milwaukee everyday.”
He made these remarks Wednesday at a Headlines Newsmaker Luncheon at the Newsroom Pub held by the Milwaukee Press Club and WisPolitics.com, where he discussed several issues tied to 2020 convention in Milwaukee.
Some of the Hallmarks of Milwaukee, like a strong work ethic and commitment to diversity, are akin to the ideals of the Democratic Party, Solmonese said, making the city a logical location for the convention.
“We have a story,” Solmonese said of Milwaukee’s past, present and future prospects.
Public safety was a theme discussed frequently throughout Wednesday’s conversation, which featured a panel of journalists including Jason Fechner of Spectrum News 1, Victor Jacobo of CBS 58 and Telemundo Wisconsin , Maredithe Meyer of BizTimes Milwaukee and Mary Spicuzza of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Solmonese’s talk came a day after Trump made his official re-election campaign announcement at a rally in Florida. Solmonese said “the president’s rhetoric” at rallies and other gatherings have been cause for concern.
“The world we live in dictates it,” Solmonese said of the need for ramped up security. “We want to make sure we’re ahead of the curve.”
To that end, Solmonese said the DNC committee has been, and plans to continue, meeting with authorities at all levels with the goal of ensuring the event is a safe one. “We’ve had meaningful conversations with local law enforcement,” Solmonese said. “We will have a very specific leadership team. We’ll have more news to share about a security perimeter.”
Throughout his discussion, Solmonese also spoke of inclusivity within the confines of the DNC, which is in his professional wheelhouse.
Solmonese’s resume includes stints as chief executive of EMILY’s List, a political action committee that backs Democratic female candidates who support abortion rights. He also has served as president of Human Rights Campaign, an organization advocating LGBTQ equality, and waas the transition chair of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
At one point in the conversation, Solmonese was asked if a transgender speaker would be a part of the 2020 DNC program. The speaker list is pending, Solmonese said, but added “Whoever is on that stage represents the diverse fabric of the Democratic Party,” he said.
The goal, Solmonese said, is to bring into the fold as many disparate voices as possible. “Everything we do here will be inclusive,” he said.
Behind-the-scenes logistics, including fundraising efforts, also were discussed. To date, $11 million has been pledged for the convention, Solmonese said.
In terms of reaching the local benchmark fundraising milestone of $70 million, Solmonese said, “We’re on track. We feel confident about reaching that goal.”
The DNC is working out of dedicated space as the countdown to next year’s convention grows shorter. The four-day program kicks of July 13 and runs through July 16, 2020.
For now, the committee is working out of an office in the Wells Building, but Solmonese said plans are in motion to move to larger digs in September.
“We’re just getting started, and we’re putting all of our infrastructure in place,” he said.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Road to the DNC
- Will Milwaukee Get DNC in 2024? - Jeramey Jannene - May 25th, 2020
- 2020 DNC Contingency Plan Moves Forward - Alana Watson - May 13th, 2020
- DNC Postponed To Mid-August - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 2nd, 2020
- Democratic National Convention Committee Announces Date Change in Response to Unprecedented Coronavirus Outbreak - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Apr 2nd, 2020
- DNC “Should Not Be Our Priority,” Barrett Says - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 1st, 2020
- Biden Says Convention May Be Postponed - Corri Hess - Apr 1st, 2020
- Ald. Coggs: Discussion needed on whether city can deliver services and meet DNC marks during COVID-19 pandemic - Ald. Milele Coggs - Mar 30th, 2020
- DNC Bar Time Bill Passes Senate Committee - Laurel White - Mar 12th, 2020
- The State of Politics: How Will State Party Pick DNC Delegates? - Steven Walters - Mar 9th, 2020
- What the DNC Could Mean for Locals - Sam Woods - Feb 29th, 2020
- DNC Host Committee Hires New Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Urban Ideas: Make MCTS Free During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- City Hall: Police To Lease Two Buildings During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 24th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: DNC Will Restrict Construction Projects - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 11th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNCC Names Construction and Event Management Teams for 2020 Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNC Delegate Welcome Party To Be Held at Summerfest Grounds - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Milwaukee DNC Leaders Fired by Board - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- “Toxic” Work Environment at DNC Cited - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- Watch: Wisconsin Gun Violence Survivor, Khary Penebaker, Featured in Mike Bloomberg 2020 Campaign Ad Highlighting Urgent Need to Prevent Gun Violence - Mike Bloomberg - Jan 31st, 2020
- DNC Needs 15,000 Volunteers - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Fiserv Forum Workers to Get $15/Hour - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2020
- City Hall: DNC Security Zone Includes Almost All of Westown - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2020
- DNC Chair Talks Healthcare in Milwaukee - Corri Hess - Jan 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Seeking $50 Million To Pay for DNC Security - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 16th, 2020
- Mark Pocan Endorses Bernie Sanders for President - Bernie Sanders - Jan 16th, 2020
- 500 Media Members Get DNC Preview - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2020
- Mayor Bloomberg Comes to Town - Graham Kilmer - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mike Bloomberg Rebuilding ‘Blue Wall’ in PA, MI, WI - Mike Bloomberg - Dec 21st, 2019
- Trump Picks Camp David Over Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2019
- City Hall: 4,000 Police Officers Will Guard DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- Security Will Be Tight At DNC - Corri Hess - Nov 14th, 2019
- Tom Steyer Comes to Town - Dave Fidlin - Nov 8th, 2019
- Airport Prepares for 2020 Convention - Corri Hess - Oct 28th, 2019
- Barrett, Moore to Lead Growing DNC Team - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2019
- DNC Team Pitches Civic Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Airbnb Says Milwaukee is Fastest Growing Destination - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2019
- Coalition to March on the DNC Looks to Rally Local Progressive Organizations and Demand Permits for Peaceful Assembly - Coalition to March on the DNC - Oct 10th, 2019
- Business, Property Owners Discuss How To Benefit From DNC - Corri Hess - Sep 24th, 2019
- Presidential Candidate Klobuchar Visits City - Alana Watson - Sep 20th, 2019
- Supermajority Organizations to Launch Cross-Country Bus Tour to Mobilize Women Ahead of 2020 - Supermajority - Sep 4th, 2019
- DNC Official Downplays Illinois Hotels - Corri Hess - Aug 26th, 2019
- Sanders Leads Dems in State Funds Raised - Robin Bravender - Aug 20th, 2019
- Democrats Speak at Latino Convention - Jim Cryns - Jul 12th, 2019
- DNC Emphasizing Security, Inclusivity for 2020 Convention - Dave Fidlin - Jun 20th, 2019
- City Hall: Will DNC Convention Help Small Businesses? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 25th, 2019
- Perez Sees Regional Impact For DNC Convention - Corri Hess - Apr 24th, 2019
- City Hall: What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2019
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018