Report Suggests Wisconsin Voters Targeted by Collusion Between Trump Campaign, Russian Fake News Operation
Scott Walker Owes Wisconsin Answers About Russian Meddling in Wisconsin Election
MADISON, Wis. — One Wisconsin Now Executive Director Scot Ross today called for a response from Gov. Scott Walker to a bombshell revelation that the campaign of Donald Trump may have directed an effort by a hostile foreign power to influence Wisconsin voters. According to a news report, the ongoing federal investigations into collusion between Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia is investigating whether the Trump campaign helped guide Russian backed fake news attacks against Hillary Clinton that targeted key demographics and voting precincts in Wisconsin.
“While Hillary Clinton may not have campaigned in Wisconsin in the fall of 2016 it sure looks like the Russians were, potentially with the help or at the direction of Republican Donald Trump’s campaign operation,” said Ross.
Yet Wisconsin’s Governor remained silent on the Trump-Russia scandal, even with this latest revelation, that the Trump campaign may have directed an effort by a hostile foreign power to influence Wisconsin voters.
Walker has also demurred in responding to Trump’s election commission’s controversial and possibly improper request for sensitive personal information about registered voters, including portions of social security numbers, birth date, voting history and any information about individual’s partisan political preference.
According to the story:
Congressional and Justice Department investigators are focusing on whether Trump’s campaign pointed Russian cyber operatives to certain voting jurisdictions in key states – areas where Trump’s digital team and Republican operatives were spotting unexpected weakness in voter support for Hillary Clinton, according to several people familiar with the parallel inquiries.
It goes on to note that:
By Election Day, an automated Kremlin cyberattack of unprecedented scale and sophistication had delivered critical and phony news about the Democratic presidential nominee to the Twitter and Facebook accounts of millions of voters. Some investigators suspect the Russians targeted voters in swing states, even in key precincts.
A member of the Senate Committee investigating the alleged Trump campaign – Russian collusion commented:
The Russians appear to have targeted women and African-Americans in two of the three decisive states, Wisconsin and Michigan, “where the Democrats were too brain dead to realize those states were even in play,” Warner said.
Twitter’s and Facebook’s search engines in those states were overwhelmed, he said, meaning they couldn’t discern fake news from real news.
“On your news feed, you suddenly got … ‘Hillary Clinton’s sick’ or ‘Hillary Clinton’s stealing money from the State Department,’” said Warner.
Ross concluded, “Scott Walker has been an eager surrogate for Donald Trump and intimately involved with his campaign in Wisconsin, appearing with him at high dollar fundraising events, campaigning on his behalf and attacking his political opponents in the media. We’re owed answers about these serious allegation about meddling with the election in Wisconsin from the governor of Wisconsin.”
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
More about the Russian Affair
- Op Ed: Is Walker a Russian Dupe? - Bill Kaplan - Jul 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Political Operation Snagged $250,000 Check Mere Days After Meeting With Accused Russian Spy - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 20th, 2018
- What’s Walker Hiding? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jul 18th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Russian Operative Highlights Walker’s NRA Ties - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jul 18th, 2018
- Matt Flynn Blasts Scott Walker for Meeting with Russian Spy - Matt Flynn - Jul 16th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Giuliani Can’t Practice Law in D.C. - Michael Horne - Jun 28th, 2018
- Pocan Statement Regarding Reports that Russian-Linked Facebook Ads Targeted Wisconsin - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Oct 4th, 2017
- Wisconsin Notified of Unsuccessful Russian Hacking Attempt - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Wisconsin A Key State for Russian Hacking - Bruce Murphy - Aug 8th, 2017
- Report Suggests Wisconsin Voters Targeted by Collusion Between Trump Campaign, Russian Fake News Operation - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 13th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Statement on Former FBI Director James Comey’s Testimony on Trump and Russia - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Jun 8th, 2017
- Speaker Paul Ryan Swears House GOP To Secrecy Regarding Trump’s Ties To Russia, Spokesperson Lies About The Conversation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 17th, 2017
- As FBI Confirms Russia Investigation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 21st, 2017
- FBI Investigation into Links Between Trump/Russia Highlights Need for Special Prosecutor - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 20th, 2017
- Revelations about Sessions’ Contact with Russia Warrants his Removal - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Senators Call for Independent Prosecutor to Investigate Trump Officials’ Collusion with Russia and Apparent White House Cover-Up - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 15th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Urges President Trump to Fully Declassify Report on Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 14th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Ron Johnson Asleep on Russian Hacking? - Bruce Murphy - Jan 10th, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Call for Bipartisan Senate Select Committee Investigation of Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 3rd, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on Russian Cyberattacks - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 16th, 2016
- Wisconsin Comrades Set to Welcome Donald Trump, Whitewash Russian Attempts to Influence Elections - One Wisconsin Now - Dec 13th, 2016
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
Republicans Missed Opportunity to Help Current Borrowers and Take on Root Causes on $1.5 Trillion Crisis
Action to Prevent Action Sums Up GOP Attitude Toward Democracy and Voter Rights
‘These Guys Need to Show Women the Respect We Deserve’