Pocan Statement Regarding Reports that Russian-Linked Facebook Ads Targeted Wisconsin
"We must ensure the widespread Russian hacking and interference in the 2016 election never happens again."
WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Representative Mark Pocan (WI-02) today released the following statement regarding news that Russian-linked Facebook ads targeted Wisconsin during the 2016 Election.
“Russia’s interference with our national elections hit home when we found out that Russian backed interest groups bought ads in specifically targeted to Wisconsin. These ads underscore the lengths to which Russia went to meddle in our electoral process and going forward, we must work to strengthen and protect our democratic institutions from these attacks. We must also continue to support Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation to get to the bottom regarding whether or not there was collusion between the Trump Campaign and the Russian government. With the 2018 elections just over a year away, we need to know the full scope of this foreign interference and how to prevent it.
“We must ensure the widespread Russian hacking and interference in the 2016 election never happens again. Congress should immediately bring the Securing America’s Future Elections Act, legislation I introduced earlier this year, to the House Floor for a vote so that we can secure our electoral process from start to finish.”
Earlier this year, Pocan introduced the Securing America’s Future Elections (SAFE) Act, legislation that would safeguard U.S. elections from future foreign cyber-attacks and interference by permanently classifying the integrity and security of elections as a key component of critical infrastructure.
This important classification would place elections systems in the same category as other critical infrastructure including the power grid, the banking system, and other utilities. The SAFE Act also addresses election standards to protect against cyber-threats, better voting machines that provide paper ballots, and random audits of ballots to thwart interference.
More about the Russian Affair
- Op Ed: Is Walker a Russian Dupe? - Bill Kaplan - Jul 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Political Operation Snagged $250,000 Check Mere Days After Meeting With Accused Russian Spy - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 20th, 2018
- What’s Walker Hiding? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jul 18th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Russian Operative Highlights Walker’s NRA Ties - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jul 18th, 2018
- Matt Flynn Blasts Scott Walker for Meeting with Russian Spy - Matt Flynn - Jul 16th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Giuliani Can’t Practice Law in D.C. - Michael Horne - Jun 28th, 2018
- Pocan Statement Regarding Reports that Russian-Linked Facebook Ads Targeted Wisconsin - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Oct 4th, 2017
- Wisconsin Notified of Unsuccessful Russian Hacking Attempt - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Wisconsin A Key State for Russian Hacking - Bruce Murphy - Aug 8th, 2017
- Report Suggests Wisconsin Voters Targeted by Collusion Between Trump Campaign, Russian Fake News Operation - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 13th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Statement on Former FBI Director James Comey’s Testimony on Trump and Russia - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Jun 8th, 2017
- Speaker Paul Ryan Swears House GOP To Secrecy Regarding Trump’s Ties To Russia, Spokesperson Lies About The Conversation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 17th, 2017
- As FBI Confirms Russia Investigation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 21st, 2017
- FBI Investigation into Links Between Trump/Russia Highlights Need for Special Prosecutor - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 20th, 2017
- Revelations about Sessions’ Contact with Russia Warrants his Removal - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Senators Call for Independent Prosecutor to Investigate Trump Officials’ Collusion with Russia and Apparent White House Cover-Up - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 15th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Urges President Trump to Fully Declassify Report on Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 14th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Ron Johnson Asleep on Russian Hacking? - Bruce Murphy - Jan 10th, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Call for Bipartisan Senate Select Committee Investigation of Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 3rd, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on Russian Cyberattacks - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 16th, 2016
- Wisconsin Comrades Set to Welcome Donald Trump, Whitewash Russian Attempts to Influence Elections - One Wisconsin Now - Dec 13th, 2016
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Rep Mark Pocan
Pocan Applauds House Passage of Amendment to Restore Honor to Service Members Discharged Due to Sexual OrientationJul 12th, 2019 by U.S. Rep Mark Pocan
"This amendment will require the U.S. Department of Defense to correct the military records of service members discharged solely because of their sexual orientation."
"Unfortunately, in recent weeks the company invited Tennessee Governor Bill Lee, an outspoken opponent of unionization, to speak to its employees at a closed-door session."
"We understand your company has been exposing workers to a coordinated series of outrageous anti-union propaganda materials."