Judge Orders Alfonso Morales Gets His Job Back in 45 Days
Former police chief gets even more leverage on potential settlement.
There is now a tight timeline for the City of Milwaukee to settle with ousted police chief Alfonso Morales.
Morales was demoted by the Fire & Police Commission in August before the deadline expired on all 11 directives the commission issued in July. He elected to retire and sued the city.
City Attorney Tearman Spencer, the commission’s attorney, admitted to the court that Morales was denied his due process rights. The filing asked for the case to be sent back for Morales to be subject to a disciplinary trial before the commission.
But Foley, in December, ruled in Morales’ favor and ordered him to be reinstated to his position.
Spencer has been embroiled in controversy since the suit was filed and his office has seen a wave of resignations. That includes assistant city attorney William Davidson who was working on the Morales case. He filed to withdraw from the case earlier this month. The city is now represented by outside counsel, Nathaniel Cade of the Cade Law Group.
Since demoting Morales, two of the seven members of the Fire & Police Commission resigned as well as the executive director. And the council voted not to reappoint another FPC member, a largely symbolic action.
- City Hall: Johnson Names Former Deputy City Attorney To Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2022
- City Hall: Washington, Burgos Join Fire-Police Board - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 20th, 2022
- City Hall: Kessler Resigns From Fire-Police Board - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 19th, 2022
- City Hall: Committee Backs Johnson’s FPC Nominees - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 9th, 2022
- City Hall: Mayor Acts To Create Full Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 12th, 2022
- City Hall: Bree Spencer Named To Fire & Police Commission - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2022
- FPC Suspends Residency Preference For Police, Fire Promotions - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 7th, 2021
- City Hall: Committee Endorses Dana World-Patterson’s Appointment To FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 2nd, 2021
- City Hall: Dana World-Patterson Nominated to FPC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 9th, 2021
- City Hall: Jeffrey Norman Named Permanent Chief of Police - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 4th, 2021
Read more about Fire & Police Commission's Troubles here