DNC Needs 15,000 Volunteers
Volunteers will do everything from back office support to helping delegates.
The Democratic National Convention host committee is looking for 15,000 smiling, friendly people to serve as ambassadors for Milwaukee this summer.
Volunteers are needed for everything from greeting people at the airport and hotels to routing delegates downtown and providing administrative support.
“We need literally thousands of people who are going to help us when we are on the world stage,” said Mayor Tom Barrett at a press conference announcing the launch of the volunteer portal.
Barrett and host committee executive director Liz Gilbert were flanked by over a dozen recruitment partners at the event, held in the reading room at the Milwaukee Public Library‘s Central Library. The partners will help get the word out about volunteering, including opportunities leading up to the July convention. The library system itself will also help people apply by including computers with the website loaded at every branch.
Over 10,000 individuals have already indicated an interest in volunteering said the executive director. Those applicants should have received an email to visit the Milwaukee2020.com website and enter the formal application progress said host committee representatives.
A wage reimbursement program will launch in the coming weeks. Known as “Building the Future,” the program is designed to make it easier for low-income individuals to volunteer. But the committee isn’t disclosing eligibility requirements or the number of slots available yet. “We are still determining the exact number,” said Vice President of Engagement and Opportunity Neisha Blandin.
Applicants will be asked to provide basic details including their areas of interest, skills and availability.
Volunteers of all ages are welcome in the lead up to the convention, but during the convention itself (July 13th through 16th) they will need to be a minimum of 16 years of age.
There is not a residency requirement to volunteer, in fact some volunteers will be stationed at the hotels near Chicago’s O’Hare Airport. Security screening requirements for volunteers will vary based on the role.
Volunteers will be invited to a Volunteer Appreciation Party on July 17th.
The volunteer portal software is being provided by Rosterfy, which won a request-for-proposals process to become the vendor. A host committee spokesperson said that the San Francisco-based organization has committed to providing the software free of charge for one year to one local organization after the event as part of leaving a lasting impact from the convention.
Individuals looking to volunteer should register on Milwaukee2020.com.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Road to the DNC
- DNC Host Committee Hires New Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Urban Ideas: Make MCTS Free During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- City Hall: Police To Lease Two Buildings During DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 24th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: DNC Will Restrict Construction Projects - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 11th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNCC Names Construction and Event Management Teams for 2020 Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Feb 10th, 2020
- DNC Delegate Welcome Party To Be Held at Summerfest Grounds - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
- Milwaukee DNC Leaders Fired by Board - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- “Toxic” Work Environment at DNC Cited - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- Watch: Wisconsin Gun Violence Survivor, Khary Penebaker, Featured in Mike Bloomberg 2020 Campaign Ad Highlighting Urgent Need to Prevent Gun Violence - Mike Bloomberg - Jan 31st, 2020
- DNC Needs 15,000 Volunteers - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Fiserv Forum Workers to Get $15/Hour - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 29th, 2020
- City Hall: DNC Security Zone Includes Almost All of Westown - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2020
- DNC Chair Talks Healthcare in Milwaukee - Corri Hess - Jan 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Seeking $50 Million To Pay for DNC Security - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 16th, 2020
- Mark Pocan Endorses Bernie Sanders for President - Bernie Sanders - Jan 16th, 2020
- 500 Media Members Get DNC Preview - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2020
- Mayor Bloomberg Comes to Town - Graham Kilmer - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mike Bloomberg Rebuilding ‘Blue Wall’ in PA, MI, WI - Mike Bloomberg - Dec 21st, 2019
- City Hall: 4,000 Police Officers Will Guard DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- Security Will Be Tight At DNC - Corri Hess - Nov 14th, 2019
- Tom Steyer Comes to Town - Dave Fidlin - Nov 8th, 2019
- Airport Prepares for 2020 Convention - Corri Hess - Oct 28th, 2019
- Barrett, Moore to Lead Growing DNC Team - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2019
- DNC Team Pitches Civic Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Airbnb Says Milwaukee is Fastest Growing Destination - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2019
- Coalition to March on the DNC Looks to Rally Local Progressive Organizations and Demand Permits for Peaceful Assembly - Coalition to March on the DNC - Oct 10th, 2019
- Business, Property Owners Discuss How To Benefit From DNC - Corri Hess - Sep 24th, 2019
- Presidential Candidate Klobuchar Visits City - Alana Watson - Sep 20th, 2019
- Supermajority Organizations to Launch Cross-Country Bus Tour to Mobilize Women Ahead of 2020 - Supermajority - Sep 4th, 2019
- DNC Official Downplays Illinois Hotels - Corri Hess - Aug 26th, 2019
- Sanders Leads Dems in State Funds Raised - Robin Bravender - Aug 20th, 2019
- Democrats Speak at Latino Convention - Jim Cryns - Jul 12th, 2019
- DNC Emphasizing Security, Inclusivity for 2020 Convention - Dave Fidlin - Jun 20th, 2019