Group Opposes Meatpacking “Slaughterhouse”
Strauss Brands deal still expected to be approved. Could bring 500 jobs to Century City.
Alderman Robert Bauman told Urban Milwaukee his office has received over 60 letters in opposition to the proposed deal. The city would sell 20 acres to the company for $1 and provide up to $4.5 million if 500 jobs are created at the site.
The Common Council is scheduled to vote on the deal on Tuesday, October 15th.
The proposal is the first sizable employer that would relocate its operations to Century City since the city acquired much of the former Tower Automotive campus in 2009. Strauss is currently based in Franklin.
Bauman was the first elected official to characterize the facility as a “slaughterhouse” when the proposal came before the Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development Committee last week.
“Slaughterhouses create many detrimental consequences and immediate impacts on neighborhoods, particularly disadvantaged ones,” said activist Amy Zignego in a statement from Slaughter Free Milwaukee. “Pollution and stench arise, vulnerable workers are exposed to brutality which can lead to post traumatic stress disorder, violence increases in the surrounding areas and impacts property values.”
None of the email messages forwarded by Bauman identify the opponents as living near the proposed development. Many submitted some version of a form letter circulated by Slaughter Free Milwaukee asking the council and mayor to pause the project.
The company, which will also relocate its headquarters to the facility, pays its shop employees $13.50 to $17 per hour plus benefits.
Two public hearings on the proposed subsidy have been held. No one has testified in opposition at either. A public hearing, as is standard practice, is not scheduled during the full Common Council meeting.
What’s likely to happen? “At this point there is no doubt about this passing. There will be no further hearings. I will say a little prayer every time I pass the site as an act of contrition for all the killing that will be occurring,” said Bauman in an email to one of the letter writers.
The proposal has the support of area Alderman Khalif Rainey.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Back in the News: Could Strauss Plant Deal Be Revived? - Bruce Murphy - Dec 12th, 2019
- 5 Takeaways on Strauss Brands Debacle - Bridget Fogarty - Nov 6th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Hamilton Keeping Door Open for Strauss - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 29th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Business Leader Blasts Council on Strauss Deal - Bruce Murphy - Oct 28th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Lost the Strauss Brands Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Oct 24th, 2019
- Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Oct 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Barrett Blasts Council On Strauss Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal! - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 21st, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Strauss Deal is Dead - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2019
- Redevelopment Authority amendment of Century City redevelopment plan to allow slaughter houses is terribly misguided - Ald. Bob Bauman - Oct 21st, 2019
Read more about Strauss Brands development here