Milwaukee Residents Outraged Over Proposed Slaughterhouse, Plan to Disrupt Tuesday’s Common Council Meeting
“Pollution and stench arise, vulnerable workers are exposed to brutality which can lead to post traumatic stress disorder, violence increases in the surrounding areas and impacts property values.”
October 14, 2019, Milwaukee, WI–Local residents and members of the grassroots networks Slaughter Free Milwaukee and Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) voice opposition to meat supplier Strauss Brands’ plans to open a slaughterhouse facility in the Century City Business Park.
According to the Milwaukee Business Journal, a $4.5 million Milwaukee grant has been approved for Strauss Brands to move its headquarters from Franklin to Century City Business Park near 31st Street and West Capitol Drive. The facility would slaughter 500 cows every day starting in 2021.
“Slaughterhouses create many detrimental consequences and immediate impacts on neighborhoods, particularly disadvantaged ones,” says activist Amy Zignego. “Pollution and stench arise, vulnerable workers are exposed to brutality which can lead to post traumatic stress disorder, violence increases in the surrounding areas and impacts property values.”
Residents believe that slaughterhouse work is among the most exploitative, dangerous and relatively low paid work in the market. Century City would be better served by any other business, including incubators to support small, local businesses which better serve residents in the long run. In addition, the damaging effects on the environment must be taken into consideration for home and business owners who ultimately would be burdened with them.
Many cities, including Chicago, are moving away from having slaughterhouses within city limits for a variety of reasons such as zoning and health code violations as well as concerns for the community’s overall well-being. According to Robert Grillo, founder of Slaughter Free Chicago, “Slaughterhouse jobs are the worst jobs the city could possibly bring to the city. Slaughterhouses are bad for animals, workers, communities, and the planet. Does anyone in City Hall realize we are facing a climate emergency?”
Residents plan to attend the Common Council meeting on Tuesday, October 15 to demand that the vote be delayed and that public hearings be scheduled. Residents will put pressure on city officials and will consider legal options to that end.
More about the Strauss Brands development
- 5 Takeaways on Strauss Brands Debacle - Bridget Fogarty - Nov 6th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Hamilton Keeping Door Open for Strauss - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 29th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Business Leader Blasts Council on Strauss Deal - Bruce Murphy - Oct 28th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Lost the Strauss Brands Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Oct 24th, 2019
- Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Oct 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Barrett Blasts Council On Strauss Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal! - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 21st, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Strauss Deal is Dead - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2019
- Redevelopment Authority amendment of Century City redevelopment plan to allow slaughter houses is terribly misguided - Ald. Bob Bauman - Oct 21st, 2019
- Neighbors make voices heard regarding Strauss meat processing plant - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Oct 18th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: RACM Approves Land Use for Meat Processing Plant - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 18th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Strauss Plant Sent Back to Committee - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Group Opposes Meatpacking “Slaughterhouse” - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 14th, 2019
- Milwaukee Residents Outraged Over Proposed Slaughterhouse, Plan to Disrupt Tuesday’s Common Council Meeting - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 14th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Committee Approves $60 Million Century City Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 8th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Strauss Would Bring 250 Jobs to City - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 19th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: “Mystery Company” Is Strauss Brands - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 5th, 2019
- Strauss Brands to Build Headquarters and Processing Facility at Century City - City of Milwaukee - Sep 4th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Mystery Company Bringing 250 Jobs - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 3rd, 2019
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Slaughter Free Milwaukee
Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal!Oct 21st, 2019 by Slaughter Free Milwaukee
"We are incredibly pleased to hear Strauss withdraw its plans for a slaughterhouse in our city."