Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski October 23, 2019
The failure has been front and center (and very public) during the past few days with support for the proposed move to Century City by Strauss Brands completely evaporating after protests about the development surfaced. Instead of holding well-publicized public hearings to vet the proposal, the administration tried to quietly squeak the proposed meat processing (slaughter house) operation through.
It is very troubling that the City of Milwaukee has poured $40 million into Century City – a development which I voted against – and only has 50 jobs to show for it!
I voted against it because my position was (and still is) that it would be irresponsible for the city to move forward on developing Century City without having a major tenant for the site already in the fold. Developers don’t build major office buildings or other developments without tenants already on board and it is careless and irresponsible for the city to not also have that approach.
And people wonder why the city doesn’t have the money to fix roads, hire additional police officers or adequately address lead hazards in our neighborhoods!
To me the $40 million Century City mess is fiscal mismanagement by the Mayor and his administration at a disturbing level. Precious city resources that have been mishandled and frittered away as thousands of our citizens need and deserve stable and well-paying jobs.
Where are the tech and innovative start-up companies we should be welcoming to Century City? Why are we courting a meatpacking company for a site where the development plan prohibited slaughter houses?!
These are germane questions for Mayor Barrett, and hopefully he is working on a plan to answer them.
But I strongly doubt he is.
- FCA’s Legal Challenge Updated - Franklin Community Advocates - Dec 24th, 2020
- FCA Files Legal Challenge to Strauss Proposal - Franklin Community Advocates - Dec 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Could Strauss Plant Deal Be Revived? - Bruce Murphy - Dec 12th, 2019
- 5 Takeaways on Strauss Brands Debacle - Bridget Fogarty - Nov 6th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Hamilton Keeping Door Open for Strauss - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 29th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Business Leader Blasts Council on Strauss Deal - Bruce Murphy - Oct 28th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Lost the Strauss Brands Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Oct 24th, 2019
- Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Oct 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Barrett Blasts Council On Strauss Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal! - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 21st, 2019
Read more about Strauss Brands development here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Tony Zielinski
No money for police, lead hazard issues or infrastructure, but let’s pump up the streetcar we can’t affordNov 1st, 2019 by Ald. Tony Zielinski
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski November 1, 2019