Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal!
"We are incredibly pleased to hear Strauss withdraw its plans for a slaughterhouse in our city."
October 21, 2019, Milwaukee, WI – Local residents and members of the grassroots networks Slaughter Free Milwaukee and Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) along with leadership and statements from Alderman Bauman and Alderman Rainey worked to highlight the negative impacts of a Strauss Brands slaughterhouse facility in the Century City Business Park next to a residential area. Strauss Brands today withdrew their proposal.
“We are incredibly pleased to hear Strauss withdraw its plans for a slaughterhouse in our city. This is a victory, most importantly for the residents of District 7. This is grassroots activism at its finest – never doubt what can be accomplished when the community comes together.” says Amy Zignego of Slaugher Free Milwaukee.
According to the Milwaukee Business Journal, a $4.5 million Milwaukee grant was approved for Strauss Brands to move its headquarters from Franklin to the Century City Business Park near 31st Street and West Capitol Drive. The facility would slaughter 500 cows every day starting in 2021.
“Slaughterhouses create many detrimental consequences and immediate impacts on neighborhoods, particularly disadvantaged ones, “says activist Amy Zignego. “Pollution and stench arise, vulnerable workers are exposed to brutality which can lead to post traumatic stress disorder, violence increases in the surrounding areas and impacts property values.”
Members of Slaughter Free Milwaukee, DxE and local communiity members worked over the past weeks to inform residents and point out the many detrimental effects of Slaughterhouses on neighborhoods, nearby small businesses, the environment, workers, the animals and property values.
Residents believe that slaughterhouse work is among the most exploitative, dangerous and relatively low paid work in the market. Century City would be better served by any other business, including incubators to support small, local businesses, green businesses, light manufacturing and innovative technologies which better serve residents in the long run.
We look forward to future, more appropriate business development in the Century City area which will benefit this community.
- Back in the News: Could Strauss Plant Deal Be Revived? - Bruce Murphy - Dec 12th, 2019
- 5 Takeaways on Strauss Brands Debacle - Bridget Fogarty - Nov 6th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Hamilton Keeping Door Open for Strauss - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 29th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Business Leader Blasts Council on Strauss Deal - Bruce Murphy - Oct 28th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Lost the Strauss Brands Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Oct 24th, 2019
- Strauss debacle a reflection of Mayor’s overall fiscal irresponsibility and failure to plan - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Oct 23rd, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Barrett Blasts Council On Strauss Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Slaughterhouse Defeated in Milwaukee! Advocacy Groups, Aldermen and Neighbors Shut down the Strauss Brands Slaughterhouse Deal! - Slaughter Free Milwaukee - Oct 21st, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Strauss Deal is Dead - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 21st, 2019
- Redevelopment Authority amendment of Century City redevelopment plan to allow slaughter houses is terribly misguided - Ald. Bob Bauman - Oct 21st, 2019
Read more about Strauss Brands development here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Slaughter Free Milwaukee
Milwaukee Residents Outraged Over Proposed Slaughterhouse, Plan to Disrupt Tuesday’s Common Council MeetingOct 14th, 2019 by Slaughter Free Milwaukee
“Pollution and stench arise, vulnerable workers are exposed to brutality which can lead to post traumatic stress disorder, violence increases in the surrounding areas and impacts property values.”