4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC
12,000 volunteers needed for 2020 Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee.
The 2020 Democratic National Convention will be held in Milwaukee, and as the saying goes “it takes a village.” The convention will take place from July 13th through July 16th, with approximately 50,000 people coming to the city. The host committee is touting a $200 million economic impact.
There are a number of ways you can get involved in the action, be it for pride or profit. You could make a buck, or, just maybe, you could be the volunteer that points Joe Biden to the best ice cream shop in town.
Volunteers will help do everything from supporting the 7,000 delegates to assisting with the logistics of navigating the city. A limited number of paid positions are available as well.
2. Register Your Business
Do you sell a widget or provide a service the host committee and its attendees could possibly need? The host committee is collecting suppliers, including their status as disadvantaged business enterprises, to support spreading the wealth. Sign-up online.
3. Rent A Room in Your House on Airbnb
You’ve no doubt heard that hotels are going to be in short supply. Airbnb, an online rental platform which was actually founded around the 2009 Presidential inauguration, helps you to turn your house into a source of short term income. Rent out the whole thing or just a room. Airbnb even provides insurance and a screening mechanism.
4. Donate to the Host Committee
It’s going to cost a lot to host the DNC, and the city won’t be chipping in. According to Barrett, approximately $50 million remains to be privately raised to host the event. Approximately $11 million has been pledged already.
Milwaukee Bucks vice president Alex Lasry leads the fundraising effort in his role as chair of The Good Land, the non-profit entity serving as the host committee. If you’ve got deep pockets, he wants to hear from you.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- City Hall: How Much Did DNC Cost Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 16th, 2020
- Get Your DNC Memorabilia - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Will Biden’s DNC Snub Hurt Him In State? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 24th, 2020
- Activist Coalition Holds Largest March of DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 21st, 2020
- DNC: Last Night Brings Little Exposure for Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 20th, 2020
- With DNC as Backdrop, A Discussion of Black Liberation - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- Suburban Protesters March From Tosa to DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- DNC: With A “Holy Mackerel” Tony Evers Kicks Off DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 19th, 2020
- DNC Rural Council Snubs Wisconsin - Henry Redman - Aug 19th, 2020
- Pop-Up Poetry Protest Performs Downtown - Ethan Duran - Aug 19th, 2020
Read more about DNC here