4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC
12,000 volunteers needed for 2020 Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee.
The 2020 Democratic National Convention will be held in Milwaukee, and as the saying goes “it takes a village.” The convention will take place from July 13th through July 16th, with approximately 50,000 people coming to the city. The host committee is touting a $200 million economic impact.
There are a number of ways you can get involved in the action, be it for pride or profit. You could make a buck, or, just maybe, you could be the volunteer that points Joe Biden to the best ice cream shop in town.
Volunteers will help do everything from supporting the 7,000 delegates to assisting with the logistics of navigating the city. A limited number of paid positions are available as well.
2. Register Your Business
Do you sell a widget or provide a service the host committee and its attendees could possibly need? The host committee is collecting suppliers, including their status as disadvantaged business enterprises, to support spreading the wealth. Sign-up online.
3. Rent A Room in Your House on Airbnb
You’ve no doubt heard that hotels are going to be in short supply. Airbnb, an online rental platform which was actually founded around the 2009 Presidential inauguration, helps you to turn your house into a source of short term income. Rent out the whole thing or just a room. Airbnb even provides insurance and a screening mechanism.
4. Donate to the Host Committee
It’s going to cost a lot to host the DNC, and the city won’t be chipping in. According to Barrett, approximately $50 million remains to be privately raised to host the event. Approximately $11 million has been pledged already.
Milwaukee Bucks vice president Alex Lasry leads the fundraising effort in his role as chair of The Good Land, the non-profit entity serving as the host committee. If you’ve got deep pockets, he wants to hear from you.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Jul 27th, 2020
- ACLU of Wisconsin To Milwaukee Common Council: “No Weapons of War for Milwaukee Police Department” - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Jul 22nd, 2020
- Coalition to March on the DNC to Prioritize the Movement Against Police Crimes - Coalition to March on the DNC - Jul 17th, 2020
- Members of Congress Told Not To Attend DNC In Person - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2020
- MPD Wants Beef Jerky, Pepper Spray - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2020
- Op Ed: History May Be Written By Wisconsin - Tom Nelson - Jul 6th, 2020
- Biden for President Announces Latino Leadership Committee Co-Chaired by Former Secretaries Ken Salazar and Hilda L. Solis - Biden for President - Jul 3rd, 2020
- DNC Will Be Largely Virtual, Not At Fiserv Forum - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 24th, 2020
- Back in the News: Could Biden Pick Baldwin for Vice President? - Bruce Murphy - Jun 15th, 2020
- Time to Face Systemic Racism, Biden Says - Shawn Johnson - Jun 13th, 2020
Read more about Road to the DNC here