City Approves DNC Contract
City expects $50 million from federal government to pay for security.
The city has executed its legal agreement to bring the 2020 Democratic National Convention to Milwaukee.
The Common Council approved the contract and Mayor Tom Barrett quickly signed the legislation.
The convention isn’t as simple as a contract between the city, host committee (The Good Land Committee) and Democratic National Committee. “There are a number of agreements involved, but the city is only party to one,” said Assistant City Attorney Mary Schanning.
“The city has three major responsibilities with regards to putting on the convention,” said Schanning. The city is responsible for security, permitting and facilitating road and street closures. A separate security plan and venue license agreement will be approved by the host committee.
“The cost of doing security is expected to be paid for by federal grants,” Schanning told the council. Security is expected to cost $50 million, including applicable insurance agreements. Philadelphia received $43 million in 2016.
Council members Milele A. Coggs and Russell W. Stamper, II stressed that the host committee, led by Barrett, Milwaukee Bucks vice president Alex Lasry and Congresswoman Gwen Moore, continue to ensure that the estimated $200 million in economic benefits are spread across the entire city.
The council almost couldn’t approve the agreement today as it barely had a majority of members.
For more on specific requirements of the contract, see my companion column “12 Rules for City in DNC Convention Contract.”
More about the 2020 Democratic National Convention
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Transportation: Streetcar Extension Planned To Start in September - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Milwaukee Submits Bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018