Transit Center Tower Demolition
Five-story clock tower knocked down to make way for 44-floor apartment tower.
Crews from Veit and J.H. Findorff & Son braved the freezing temperatures as the sun rose Saturday morning to complete a milestone in redeveloping Milwaukee’s lakefront. A small team worked with blowtorches and excavators to knock off the five-story clock tower at the Downtown Transit Center.
Our photos capture the process, including the tower crashing to the ground and wall of dust rising up. Unlike a recent knockdown on N. Farwell Ave. that was described by some as a “mini earthquake,” the transit center’s obliteration went off without a hitch.
The now-demolished clock tower was designed in-part as an homage to the iconic Chicago & North Western Lakefront Railway Depot. That building, a far more attractive and high-usage transit facility, was located roughly a block north. Opened in 1890, it was demolished in 1968. Its demolition helped launch a movement towards historic preservation in Milwaukee.
Construction of the $122 million The Couture, a proposed 44-story, 302-unit apartment tower, is expected to begin as soon as demolition is completed. Developer Barrett Lo Visionary Development acquired the roughly two-acre site from the county in August for $500,000, but as part of the deal is also required to pay the demolition costs as well as incorporating a streetcar and bus rapid transit stop in the base of the building. A significant public access component, which will connect O’Donnell Park and Downtown to the lakefront and a new, yet-to-be-completed park will be incorporated into the building with a series of bridges. Design of the tower and new park are both being led by Milwaukee-firm Rinka Chung Architecture. The city is involved in financing a portion of the development, particularly the streetcar component, with a tax-incremental financing district.
The streetcar’s lakefront line and proposed east-west bus-rapid transit line are expected to begin operating through The Couture in 2019 at the earliest.
For more on the project see our coverage from December 30th “Goodbye Downtown Transit Center” or our August article “The Couture is Finally Happening,” which includes photos of the inside of the transit center.
More about the Couture
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Still No Deal For The Couture. Yet - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: NBA Player Plans Downtown Apartments - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2019
- Transportation: Couture Streetcar Extension Decision Pushed to June 2020 - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 2nd, 2019
- Transportation: City Struggles on Couture Streetcar Extension - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- MKE County: Supervisors Question Couture Project - Graham Kilmer - Sep 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Getting New Signage - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Changes Financing Plan - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 28th, 2019
- Transportation: City Confident Couture Won’t Block Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 5th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - May 27th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - Mar 10th, 2019
- MKE County: County Committee Mollified on Couture - Graham Kilmer - Dec 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Cleared for Takeoff - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Still in Limbo - Graham Kilmer - Oct 21st, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Multiple Tower Groundbreakings in 2018 - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture Seeks Commercial Tenants - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Couture Sewer Subsidy - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture’s Surprise Sewer Being Moved - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves The Couture - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 18th, 2017
- Changes Made to Couture’s Design - Graham Kilmer - Apr 10th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Second Lakefront Tower Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Transit Center Tower Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 8th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Goodbye Downtown Transit Center - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture is Finally Happening - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2016
- New Front Door for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2013
- County Threatened With Lakefront Lawsuit - Dave Reid - Jul 24th, 2012
- Photo Gallery: The Couture Press Conference - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2012
- The Chatter: Abele vs County Board — Again - Bruce Murphy - Jul 12th, 2012
- 44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 11th, 2012