Justice Was Never an Option
Supervisor Ryan Clancy statement on Kyle Rittenhouse verdict
County Supervisor Ryan Clancy released the following statement on the decision:
“Today’s verdict in the Rittenhouse case is what we expected: an absence of justice. But justice wasn’t an option today, regardless of the opinion the jury brought back.
“I was in Kenosha that night. In response to reports that white supremacists had put out public, explicit calls on social media to kill protesters, law enforcement trained their weapons not at those people making the threats, but on the protesters themselves. I watched as independent observers and media were tear-gassed, and as protesters justifiably upset about yet another police shooting were driven from a public space, kettled, hit with pepper rounds, gassed, and funneled towards where three would be shot and two would be killed.
“This act of violence did not begin with Rittenhouse. It began with the curfew, the horrific police response which saw him as a “friendly,” and the system which went to great lengths to protect him, and itself, from accountability.
“Justice was never an option. We must change the system.”
Supervisor Clancy was elected to the County Board in 2020 and is currently serving his first term as the Supervisor for the 4th District.
- Data Wonk: Rittenhouse Feared His Rifle Endangered Him - Bruce Thompson - Nov 24th, 2021
- Rittenhouse Says ‘Self-Defense Was On Trial’ - Shawn Johnson - Nov 23rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: After Rittenhouse, Expect More Vigilantes - Bruce Murphy - Nov 22nd, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining: Statement on Rittenhouse Verdict - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Nov 19th, 2021
- Attorney General Kaul Statement on the Verdict in Wisconsin v. Rittenhouse - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Nov 19th, 2021
- Supervisor Taylor Statement on the Rittenhouse Verdict - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Nov 19th, 2021
- Rittenhouse Found Not Guilty on All Counts - WPR Staff - Nov 19th, 2021
- ‘We Have Two Different Justice Systems’ - County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson - Nov 19th, 2021
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on the Verdict in the Kyle Rittenhouse Trial - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 19th, 2021
- Statement on the Kyle Rittenhouse Trial Verdict - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Nov 19th, 2021
Read more about Kenosha Shooting here
Recent Press Releases by Sup. Ryan Clancy
Divested funds to be spent on human needs and infrastructure.
Funds would be spent instead on human needs, infrastructure