County Parks To Seek State Grant to Fund Ravine Road Bridge Project
The goal of the project is to preserve the historical character of Lake Park by replacing the bridge with a structure that closely matches its original architecture and design.
The goal of the project is to preserve the historical character of Lake Park by replacing the bridge with a structure that closely matches its original architecture and design. A 20-member Ravine Road Bridge committee, as well as public workgroups, selected replacement of the bridge, in-kind, as the preferred alternative for addressing the deterioration of the bridge.
If Milwaukee County does not receive the TAP grant funding, other options, including repairs, will still be considered.
Applications for the 2018-2022 cycle of TAP grants were due on January 26, 2018. Applications will now be assessed by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and announcements on winning projects will be made by Governor Scott Walker in July or August. In 2017, Milwaukee County also committed $500,000 towards an expected $2.5 million budget for the project.
The 20-member Ravine Road Bridge work group consisted of Milwaukee County staff from the County Board, Parks, and Administrative Services, engineering consultants GRAEF and Malas Engineering, UW-Milwaukee School of Architecture and Urban Planning, historical consultant Heritage Research, City of Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission, Milwaukee County Historical Society, the State Historical Preservation Commission, Lake Park Friends, Preserve Our Parks, Historic Water Tower Neighborhood, and North Point Lighthouse Friends. Two public meetings were held to inform the community of the study, to present alternatives, and to receive feedback.
Ravine Road Bridge in Lake Park
More about the Ravine Road Bridge Project
- County Parks To Seek State Grant to Fund Ravine Road Bridge Project - Milwaukee County Parks - Feb 8th, 2018
- Op-Ed: Lake Park’s Bridge Spans History - Paul Daniel Marriott - Apr 5th, 2017
- Public Forum For Lake Park Bridge - Virginia Small - Feb 13th, 2017
- County Closes Lake Park Bridge - Virginia Small - Dec 14th, 2016
- Donor Pledges $1 Million for Lake Park Bridge - Virginia Small - Nov 7th, 2016
- County Faces Issues When Replacing Bridges - Virginia Small - Aug 22nd, 2016
- Lake Park Bridge Faces Thorny Issues - Virginia Small - Jul 29th, 2016
- Can Lake Park Bridge Be Saved? - Virginia Small - Jul 13th, 2016
- Lake Park Bridge Work Group Announced - Virginia Small - May 11th, 2016
- Back in the News: Meeting Will Discuss Lake Park Bridge - Virginia Small - May 2nd, 2016
- Plenty of Horne: Bridge Over Troubled Finances - Michael Horne - Oct 18th, 2015
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee County Parks
Train Ride, Lego Layout, Steam Trains (Sunday), Thomas & Friends
The Parks Recreation Section is suggesting a variety of low-cost indoor and outdoor activities.