County Parks To Seek State Grant to Fund Ravine Road Bridge Project
The goal of the project is to preserve the historical character of Lake Park by replacing the bridge with a structure that closely matches its original architecture and design.
The goal of the project is to preserve the historical character of Lake Park by replacing the bridge with a structure that closely matches its original architecture and design. A 20-member Ravine Road Bridge committee, as well as public workgroups, selected replacement of the bridge, in-kind, as the preferred alternative for addressing the deterioration of the bridge.
If Milwaukee County does not receive the TAP grant funding, other options, including repairs, will still be considered.
Applications for the 2018-2022 cycle of TAP grants were due on January 26, 2018. Applications will now be assessed by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and announcements on winning projects will be made by Governor Scott Walker in July or August. In 2017, Milwaukee County also committed $500,000 towards an expected $2.5 million budget for the project.
The 20-member Ravine Road Bridge work group consisted of Milwaukee County staff from the County Board, Parks, and Administrative Services, engineering consultants GRAEF and Malas Engineering, UW-Milwaukee School of Architecture and Urban Planning, historical consultant Heritage Research, City of Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission, Milwaukee County Historical Society, the State Historical Preservation Commission, Lake Park Friends, Preserve Our Parks, Historic Water Tower Neighborhood, and North Point Lighthouse Friends. Two public meetings were held to inform the community of the study, to present alternatives, and to receive feedback.
Ravine Road Bridge in Lake Park
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- City Should Enforce Reopening of Ravine Road, Park Friends Say in Filing - Lake Park Friends - Sep 28th, 2023
- MKE County: Ravine Road Debate Heats Up - Graham Kilmer - Aug 14th, 2023
- MKE County: Ravine Road Project Could Begin in 2024, With Pedestrian-Only Option - Graham Kilmer - Aug 1st, 2023
- MKE County: Lake Park Bridge Open For First Time In 6 Years - Graham Kilmer - Oct 29th, 2022
- Friday Photos: Lake Park Bridge Overhaul Nears Completion - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 23rd, 2022
- MKE County: Lake Park Bridge Needs $1 Million More - Graham Kilmer - May 18th, 2021
- County Receives $2 Million Grant for Lake Park Bridge - County Executive Chris Abele - Sep 12th, 2018
- County Parks To Seek State Grant to Fund Ravine Road Bridge Project - Milwaukee County Parks - Feb 8th, 2018
- Op-Ed: Lake Park’s Bridge Spans History - Paul Daniel Marriott - Apr 5th, 2017
- Public Forum For Lake Park Bridge - Virginia Small - Feb 13th, 2017
Read more about Ravine Road Bridge Project here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee County Parks
Milwaukee County Parks is hosting a hiring event for around seasonal positions, with walk-in interviews and on-the-spot hiring.