Artist Luke Jerram Brings a Lunar Experience to Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward
Replica of the moon to be suspended in Catalano Square during three-day pop-up festival
MILWAUKEE (June 27, 2019) – A full moon will rise over Catalano Square in the Historic Third Ward on Friday, Aug. 9, 2019 in the shape of a stunning artwork depicting a hyperreal view of the lunar surface. Museum of the Moon, which has been touring the world since 2016, is a 23-foot diameter, inflatable art installation by Luke Jerram using NASA photography. The Moon is the centerpiece of Under One Moon, a pop-up festival created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing in 1969 and all things lunar.
“Every culture has its own historical, cultural, scientific and religious relationship to the moon, yet despite these differences, the moon connects us all,” Luke Jerram commented.
Featuring moon songs, lunar chalk art, original dance, theater and poetry performances, lectures from leading space experts and more, the Under One Moon festival is a weekend to come and be entertained and inspired by the magic of the universe.
“Through this event we get to bring the community together with art, storytelling and music. It will be a one-of-a-kind experience for all to enjoy,” said Doug McDonald, Vice President, Black Box Fund.
Event highlights include:
Throughout the weekend:
- Dan Jones’ surround-sound composition – created to travel with the exhibit. Jones is a British composer and BAFTA recipient whose work includes music scores for The Miniaturist, 2018 and Attenborough’s Life of Mammals, 2003
- #1500BottlesASecond eco-art installation by University School of Milwaukee
- Chalk Artists Stacey Williams-Ng, Lori Antoinette, Tonya Youngberg, Julie Jilek, and Craig and Jamie Rogers create four 10’x10’ and one 10’x20’ 3-D lunar chalk paintings
- Street Shuffleboard by NorthSouth Club (Friday/Saturday)
- Food and beverage vendors
- Jean Creighton, UWM Planetarium Director and NASA Ambassador
- Wisconsin poets Kimberly Blaeser, Angie Trudell Vasquez, Dasha Kelly Hamilton and Susan Firer
- Don Linke Jazz Group with singer Janet Planet
- Alice the Living Statue
- Fire Pit and S’mores presented by Lakeshore State Park
Saturday with emcee to be announced
- Empower Yoga with Suzy Weyenberg
- Small Step/Giant Leap theatrical performance created by Michael Cotey and Connor Lifson
- Water Street Dance
- Storytelling with Holly Haebig and Express Yourself
- Strawberry Moon Women Singers and Drummers
- Nineteen Thirteen – Cellist Janet Schiff and Percussionist Victor DeLorenzo
- Kids Play Zone with Imagination Playground blocks
- Henna painting by Luna
- Roll Train dance performance
- Artists from Skylight Music Theatre presents moon songs
- Wisconsin poets Sylvia Cavanaugh, Brenda Cardenas, Suresh Roontga
- Wendy Lawrence, NASA Astronaut
- De La Buena
About Under One Moon
Under One Moon is presented with the help of Scott K. Foley and Kate M. Blomquist (coordinators), Steph Salvia (Serendipitous Events), Michael Vance (My Name is Corocet), Milwaukee Artists Resource Network, MOD GEN and Historic Third Ward Association. The festival is produced under the direction of Black Box Fund, a 501c3 nonprofit organization that supports public art, music and performances that inspire and educate.
To learn more about the exhibit and complete program, visit blackboxfund.org.