Alderman Zielinski seeks review of DPW work that has been outsourced
Incidents at DPW worksites reflect lack of diversity, few city residents
Alderman Tony Zielinski is asking the commissioner of the Department of Public Works to report to the Common Council within 30 days all DPW tasks previously performed by city workers that have been outsourced to contractors during the past 20 years.
“I am very concerned that the workers working on projects in the city no longer reflect the population of the community they are serving,” said Alderman Zielinski, chair of the Licenses Committee.
Alderman Zielinski said worksite incidents – most recently a viral photo circulated on Friday (December 8) showing a possible contractor worker’s cooler displaying Ku Klux Klan and Confederate flag stickers at a site near N. 25th and W. Wells Streets – has “shown me there is some evidence to be very concerned about who we have performing taxpayer-funded city work in our neighborhoods,” he said.
“We cannot deny that we’ve had these horrific images circulating in the news media and across social media from city work sites over the past several days,” the alderman said. “As bad as they are, they are the symptoms and not the disease. The disease is the reality that crews working on city projects no longer reflect the population of the city.”
More about the Contractor Gun Debate
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Releases Contractor Gun Photo - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 5th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Another Contractor Caught With Gun - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Settles with American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Kills Contracts With American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Stamper Introduces Bill to Fire American Sewer Services - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Ban On Contractors With Guns Passed - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 19th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Embattled Company Leader Absent at Hearing - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 18th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Labor Groups Rally Against KKK Supporter - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2017
- Sewer contractor to appear before the Steering & Rules Committee to address racist symbols at work-site - City of Milwaukee - Dec 11th, 2017
- Statement from American Sewer Services, Inc. - Press Release - Dec 11th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Worker With KKK Cooler Fired - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 11th, 2017
- Alderman Zielinski seeks review of DPW work that has been outsourced - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Dec 11th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Contractor’s Worker Displays KKK Sign - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 8th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Donovan Runs Afoul of City Gun Policy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 7th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Ban Contractors From Carrying Guns? - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2017
- Alderman Bauman’s bullying of Assistant City Attorney is unacceptable - Ald. Bob Donovan - Dec 6th, 2017
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Tony Zielinski
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski February 6, 2019
"For almost ten years our minimum wage has remained flat while costs of living have increased."
Ald. Tony Zielinski to Sponsor Legislation to Ensure Proper Coverage for City Employees Struggling with Addiction and Other Mental Health ProblemsDec 17th, 2018 by Ald. Tony Zielinski
Statement of Alderman Tony Zielinski - December 17, 2018