AFP – WI Praises Governor Walker, Senate Conservatives for Improving State Budget
Walker pledges to veto shady PFA power grab targeted by AFP activists
Americans for Prosperity – Wisconsin is praising an 11th hour deal struck between Governor Scott Walker and conservative Senators Steve Nass, Duey Stroebel, and Chris Kapenga to significantly improve the state budget to protect taxpayers and reform state government.
According to AFP-WI State Director Eric Bott, the deal advances several key priorities for the free-market activist group including stopping a suspicious provision to give vast new powers to Wisconsin Public Finance Authority (PFA) shepherded through the Assembly by Speaker Robin Vos. The PFA provision was exposed earlier this week by AFP-WI and targeted by its base of over 130,000 activists in a grassroots blitz and aggressive digital ad campaign under the Twitter hashtag “#VetoPFA.”
Americans for Prosperity-Wisconsin State Director Eric Bott made the following statement on the PFA veto:
“AFP-WI put everything we had into killing this scheme because it smacked of cronyism, threatened the property rights of Wisconsin citizens, and used public resources in Wisconsin for private investment gains in other states like California. Our activists worked around the clock to urge Governor Walker to #VetoPFA and we are pleased that it met a richly-deserved demise this evening. Though we killed the PFA deal in this budget, we will not rest until the larger PFA scam has been exposed and sent to the ash heap of Wisconsin history where it belongs.”
AFP is commending several other components of the Walker-Senate deal including improvements to cost-saving ‘federal swap’ legislation, faster implementation of the repeal of the prevailing wage, changes protecting taxpayers from an energy efficiency property tax loophole, and the elimination of a newly created transportation bureaucracy dubbed the TPC. All were budget priorities for AFP’s activists.
“Governor Walker and these senators took a good budget and made it much better,” said Bott. “We’re grateful to them and the other elected officials who fought against cronyism and in favor of pro-growth reforms in this budget.”
Bott stressed that while AFP activists are pleased that the proposed expansion of PFA power is dead, they will continue to press for further investigations and reforms to the outfit. He noted that deep concerns persist about their activities and reiterated AFP’s support for the PFA audit proposed by Rep. Scott Allen.
More about the 2017-2019 WI State Budget
- GOP Passes $76 Billion Betrayal of our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen.Taylor on Budget Passage: “It’s Shameful” - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Sep 17th, 2017
- Ringhand Statement on State Budget - State Sen. Janis Ringhand - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen. LaTonya Johnson Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Democrats Call for Campaign Integrity to be Restored in State Budget - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- AFP – WI Praises Governor Walker, Senate Conservatives for Improving State Budget - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 17th, 2017
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - Gov. Scott Walker - Sep 17th, 2017
- Speaker Vos Statement on Assembly Passage of 2017-2019 Budget - Wisconsin Assembly Speaker Robin Vos - Sep 14th, 2017
- AFP-Wisconsin Commends Rep. Scott Allen’s Call for PFA Audit - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2017
- Statement from Rep. Barca on Republican Budget - State Rep. Peter Barca - Sep 6th, 2017
- School aid payments delayed amid GOP budget fiasco - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 31st, 2017
- Republicans Again Shortchanging our Kids, Betraying our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Aug 29th, 2017
- Republicans cut rural school aid, delay payments - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 28th, 2017
- GOP Plan Puts Education Last, Fails to Remediate Walker’s Historic Cuts - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 28th, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by AFP Wisconsin
"This law will make it easier for our neighbors who have fallen on hard times to get back on their feet and begin rebuilding their future," said Eric Bott.
AFP-WI Applauds Gov. Walker for Signing Civil Asset Forfeiture ReformLandmark reform protects constitutional liberties, strengthens rule of lawApr 3rd, 2018 by AFP Wisconsin
Landmark reform protects constitutional liberties, strengthens rule of law
Activists Vow to Fight Rep. Taylor’s “Outrageous Power Grab by Leftwing Special Interests”