Statement from Rep. Barca on Republican Budget
"Republicans should be ashamed of this budget."
Madison – Assembly Democratic Leader Peter Barca (D – Kenosha) released the following statement on the Republican budget passed in the state’s budget committee this evening:
“Republicans should be ashamed of this budget. They spent more than two months bickering about whose idea was best while ignoring the needs of Wisconsin families. They held up money for public schools. They delayed funding for crumbling roads – which simply increases the costs of repairing critical infrastructure for taxpayers in budgets to come. They prioritized handouts for the wealthy over policies that would help folks in the working and middle class succeed. Every year that Republicans fail to do the right thing is another year of lower wages, struggling small businesses, and a sluggish economy that is for the 23rd consecutive quarter lagging behind the national average.
We still have a lot of fight left in us. When this budget comes before the Assembly and the Senate, Democrats will fight for Wisconsin families. Wisconsin families deserve better from their governor and their elected officials. Families deserve strong communities, an economy that works for everyone, and a place where every child has an equal opportunity to succeed. Republicans have failed them.”
More about the 2017-2019 WI State Budget
- GOP Passes $76 Billion Betrayal of our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen.Taylor on Budget Passage: “It’s Shameful” - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Sep 17th, 2017
- Ringhand Statement on State Budget - State Sen. Janis Ringhand - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen. LaTonya Johnson Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Democrats Call for Campaign Integrity to be Restored in State Budget - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- AFP – WI Praises Governor Walker, Senate Conservatives for Improving State Budget - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 17th, 2017
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - Gov. Scott Walker - Sep 17th, 2017
- Speaker Vos Statement on Assembly Passage of 2017-2019 Budget - Wisconsin Assembly Speaker Robin Vos - Sep 14th, 2017
- AFP-Wisconsin Commends Rep. Scott Allen’s Call for PFA Audit - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2017
- Statement from Rep. Barca on Republican Budget - State Rep. Peter Barca - Sep 6th, 2017
- School aid payments delayed amid GOP budget fiasco - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 31st, 2017
- Republicans Again Shortchanging our Kids, Betraying our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Aug 29th, 2017
- Republicans cut rural school aid, delay payments - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 28th, 2017
- GOP Plan Puts Education Last, Fails to Remediate Walker’s Historic Cuts - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 28th, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Peter Barca
"Along with my Democratic colleagues, I’ll work tirelessly to make this a better deal."
"It’s clear that Republicans are trying to rush through the process to avoid as much scrutiny as possible."