Business, Property Owners Discuss How To Benefit From DNC
50,000 people expected to pour into Milwaukee during the DNC.
Flores Hall on the south side of Milwaukee is normally the site of retirement parties, wedding showers and quinceañeras. But on Monday, dozens of small business and property owners met there to find out how the Democratic National Convention’s arrival in Milwaukee next summer could benefit them.
Since the convention was announced, there has been promises of 50,000 people converging on the city in July.
Alderman Jose Perez, who represents the city’s south side, said the convention can benefit all of Milwaukee’s neighborhoods.
“There is a wide range of services and vendors that will be needed,” Perez said. “Whether it’s Airbnb, renting out space, you name it … depending on what you do and how you do it (there is money to be made).”
The Milwaukee 2020 Host Committee has said there will be approximately 2,000 events that take place leading up to and during the convention. The convention will be held from July 13-16 at the Fiserv Forum in downtown Milwaukee.
The host committee is looking for approximately 15,000 volunteers, but also vendors.
Samer Abulughod owns Crystal Limousine & Coach. He has already signed up to be a vendor for the convention, but attended Monday’s event to make sure he wasn’t forgetting to do anything before the event.
“This doesn’t have to do with politics,” Abulughod said. “I want to know how we can help support our city. We have guests coming and we need to take care of them.”
Tyeshia Coopwood started her business, Potty Pearls, two years ago. She said she would love to get her product — a portable air freshener — in the hands of the politicians coming to Milwaukee.
Maurice Wince and his wife recently purchased several properties in Milwaukee’s Sherman Park neighborhood. He is hoping at least one of the commercial spaces can serve as a venue during one of the convention’s events.
“I think that they (the politicians) need to see the entire city of Milwaukee,” Wince said. “Milwaukee has a rich heritage and Sherman Park has a rich heritage.”
Listen to the WPR report here.
Business, Property Owners Meet To Discuss How To Benefit From DNC was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Road to the DNC
- City Hall: DNC Security Zone Includes Almost All of Westown - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2020
- DNC Chair Talks Healthcare in Milwaukee - Corri Hess - Jan 17th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Seeking $50 Million To Pay for DNC Security - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 16th, 2020
- Mark Pocan Endorses Bernie Sanders for President - Bernie Sanders - Jan 16th, 2020
- 500 Media Members Get DNC Preview - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2020
- Mayor Bloomberg Comes to Town - Graham Kilmer - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mike Bloomberg Rebuilding ‘Blue Wall’ in PA, MI, WI - Mike Bloomberg - Dec 21st, 2019
- City Hall: 4,000 Police Officers Will Guard DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- Security Will Be Tight At DNC - Corri Hess - Nov 14th, 2019
- Tom Steyer Comes to Town - Dave Fidlin - Nov 8th, 2019
- Airport Prepares for 2020 Convention - Corri Hess - Oct 28th, 2019
- Barrett, Moore to Lead Growing DNC Team - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2019
- DNC Team Pitches Civic Leaders - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 15th, 2019
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Airbnb Says Milwaukee is Fastest Growing Destination - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 11th, 2019
- Coalition to March on the DNC Looks to Rally Local Progressive Organizations and Demand Permits for Peaceful Assembly - Coalition to March on the DNC - Oct 10th, 2019
- Business, Property Owners Discuss How To Benefit From DNC - Corri Hess - Sep 24th, 2019
- Presidential Candidate Klobuchar Visits City - Alana Watson - Sep 20th, 2019
- Supermajority Organizations to Launch Cross-Country Bus Tour to Mobilize Women Ahead of 2020 - Supermajority - Sep 4th, 2019
- DNC Official Downplays Illinois Hotels - Corri Hess - Aug 26th, 2019
- Sanders Leads Dems in State Funds Raised - Robin Bravender - Aug 20th, 2019
- Democrats Speak at Latino Convention - Jim Cryns - Jul 12th, 2019
- DNC Emphasizing Security, Inclusivity for 2020 Convention - Dave Fidlin - Jun 20th, 2019