Will Election Help City Get Convention?
City’s huge turnout will help it beat Houston, Miami for 2020 Democratic convention, Lasry believes.
Lasry is the local chair of the committee trying to secure the convention.
“Milwaukee spoke and hopefully the state will now listen and see that Milwaukee is a city that needs to be paid attention to,” Lasry said. “The turnout and the boost in Milwaukee just shows the passion that the people here have. My hope and belief is the DNC will want to come to Milwaukee to be a part of it.”
The convention will be held July 13-16, 2020. It is expected to attract 50,000 attendees and have an economic impact of $200 million to $300 million throughout the state, Lasry said.
“The most impressive thing is it’s not just the city,” Lasry said. “This benefits the entire state. That is a big reason why it has gotten bipartisan support, business leader support and community support. This is our way of putting Milwaukee and Wisconsin on the map and reintroducing it.”
The 2016 DNC convention was held in Philadelphia. It reportedly had a $231 million economic impact.
If Milwaukee is selected, it would cost $50 million to $60 million to stage the event.
The cost would be privately financed and the committee is currently raising funds, Lasry said.
“We look at this as an investment,” Lasry said. “You put in $50 million and get back $200 million to $300 million. My dad (Bucks owner Marc Lasry) works in the investment world, and he would take $300 million any day.”
Lasry expects to have a decision from the DNC in late December or early January.
“I feel really good about our chances because Milwaukee has the best story to tell,” Lasry said. “Milwaukee really is a microcosm of what is going on in the country. A former rustbelt emerging as a 21st century city. It is incredibly diverse, it is a city that is really on the rise and it also has the best facilities.”
One of the facilities that was featured in the application for the DNC was the new Milwaukee Bucks arena, the Fiserv Forum, which opened in September.
Milwaukee’s 2020 DNC Organizers Hope Election Results Sway Selection Committee was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the 2020 Democratic National Convention
- Trump Picks Camp David Over Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2019
- City Hall: Will DNC Convention Help Small Businesses? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 25th, 2019
- Perez Sees Regional Impact For DNC Convention - Corri Hess - Apr 24th, 2019
- City Hall: What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2019
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Transportation: Streetcar Extension Planned To Start in September - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Milwaukee Submits Bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018