The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra to Present Annual Neighborhood Residency in Bay View
The MSO will perform free events at unique venues including bars, markets, schools, churches, and even neighborhood porches.
Milwaukee, Wis. 3/19/2018 – The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and the Bay View community present “Symphony in the Neighborhood” from April 6 – 15. “Symphony in the Neighborhood” is a week-long residency project that brings the music out of the concert hall and into the community where people live, work, and play. The MSO will perform free events at unique venues including bars, markets, schools, churches, and even neighborhood porches. The week will include a free full-scale symphony performance on Tuesday, April 10, at 7 PM, at Bay View High School. “Symphony in the Neighborhood” is presented in partnership with the Bay View Neighborhood Association.
The week will also feature a Secret Symphony performance at Milwaukee Blacksmith on Saturday, April 14, with activities beginning at 6 PM and the concert beginning at 7 PM. Tickets are $5.00 and can be purchased by visiting www.mso.org or by calling 414.291.7605.
“Bay View has an incredibly active and amazing neighborhood association, business owners engaged in their community, and enthusiastic volunteers who are committed to Bay View.” said Mark Niehaus, MSO president and executive director. “We are excited to partner with this thriving community for our second annual neighborhood residency.”
Following is a list of events and “pop-up” performances that will occur during the week:
EVENT INFORMATION (event listing can also be found at www.mso.org/neighborhood)
Lincoln Warehouse – Neighborhood Kick-Off Event! With Twisted Path
Friday, April 6, 8 PM – 10 PM
2018 S. 1st St.
Live music with members of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, drink specials, door prizes, and receive your Symphony in the Neighborhood BINGO cards!
Bay View High School – Free Community Concert!
Tuesday, April 10, 7 PM
2751 S. Lenox St.
This free community concert is a full-symphony performance for guests of all ages, featuring works by Aaron Copland, Duke Ellington, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, and more.
Bay View Printing Co. – Drink & Ink with the MSO
Thursday, April 12, 6 PM – 9 PM (music beginning at 7 PM)
2702 S. Howell Ave.
They supply all the paper, the ink and the press know-how you could possibly need. You bring the creativity, and the MSO will bring the entertainment. Tickets required: $30 (www.bayviewprintingco.com).
Secret Symphony at Milwaukee Blacksmith
Saturday, April 14
Doors open at 6 PM | Performance at 7:30 PM
3073 S. Chase, Building 24
The evening will include food trucks, activities, drinks samples, and a live symphony performance of machine-inspired music. Tickets Required: $5.00 (www.mso.org or call 414.291.7605)
Bay View United Methodist Church
Sunday, April 15, 10:45 AM (during service)
2772 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Milwaukee Symphony Ensemble Performance with Bay View UMC Bell Choir.
Saturday, April 7
- 9 AM – 10 AM: Stone Creek Coffee – 2266 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- 11 AM – 12 PM: Café Centraal – 2306 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- 4 PM – 5 PM: Sugar Maple – 441 E. Lincoln Ave.
Sunday, April 8
- 8 AM – 9 AM: Canfora Bakery – 1100 E. Oklahoma Ave.
- 10:15 AM – 10:45 AM: Mercy Hill Church (in-between services) – 2625 S. Greely St. #1000
- 11 AM – 1 PM: Brinn Labs – 433 E. Stewart St.
- 1 PM – 2 PM: Outpost Natural Foods – 2826 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Monday, April 9
- 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM: Milwaukee Public Library – Bay View Branch – 2566 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- 6 PM – 7 PM: Porch Serenades – musicians take to the sidewalks to perform in front of private residences
- 7 PM – 8 PM: Anodyne Coffee & Pizza – 2920 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Thursday, April 12
- 6:30 AM – 7:30 AM: Colectivo Coffee – 2301 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Friday, April 13
- 6 PM – 7 PM: Kindred on KK – 2535 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- 8 PM – 10 PM: Acme Records – 2341 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Saturday, April 14
- 12:30 PM: Avalon Theater – 2473 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- Performance before The Wizard of Oz at 1 PM
Sunday, April 15
- 1 PM – 2 PM: Voyageur Book Shop – 2212 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
- 3 PM – 4 PM: G.Groppi Food Market – 1441 E. Russell Ave.
- 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM: Saffron Yoga Center – 435 E. Lincoln Ave.
- Register in advance – $10
BMO Harris Bank (Secret Symphony Blacksmith Sponsor)
Gateway to Milwaukee (Secret Symphony Blacksmith Sponsor)
Kindred on KK
Studio Gear LLC (Secret Symphony In Kind)
Industrial Properties, LLC (Secret Symphony In Kind)
About the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra is among the finest orchestras in the nation and the largest cultural institution in Wisconsin. Since its inception in 1959, the MSO has found innovative ways to give music a home in the region, develop music appreciation and talent among area youth, and raise the national reputation of Milwaukee. The MSO’s 70 full-time professional musicians perform over 135 classics, pops, family, education, and community concerts each season in venues throughout the state. A pioneer among American orchestras, the MSO has performed world and American premieres of works by John Adams, Roberto Sierra, Phillip Glass, Geoffrey Gordon, Marc Neikrug, and Matthias Pintscher, as well as garnered national recognition as the first American orchestra to offer live recordings on iTunes. Now in its 46th season, the orchestra’s nationally syndicated radio broadcast series, the longest consecutive-running series of any U.S. orchestra, is heard annually by more than two million listeners.The MSO’s standard of excellence extends beyond the concert hall and into the community, reaching more than 40,000 children and their families through its Arts in Community Education (ACE) program, Youth and Teen concerts, and Family Series.