Sen. Harris Dodd and Rep. Goyke Oppose Possible Expansion of I-94 East-West Corridor
"The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences."
MADISON– State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd (D-Milwaukee) and State Representative Evan Goyke (D-Milwaukee) released the following statement upon the conclusion yesterday of public hearings hosted by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation regarding the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor:
“I believe that the Department of Transportation is misguided in their attempts to rectify the current I-94 East-West Corridor problems by spending hundreds of millions of dollars while simultaneously harming local neighborhoods and businesses,” explained State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd.
“While the I-94 East-West Corridor needs to be repaired, my constituents and I share the concern that the Department of Transportation should carefully consider other options.”
“The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences on not only the surrounding community, but the City of Milwaukee as a whole.”
“Let me be clear – I strongly oppose the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor whether it is widened or the highway is double-decked,” Rep. Goyke said.
“The expansion of the corridor footprint would be disruptive to established businesses and neighborhoods. My constituents are strongly against this and the resounding message to DOT I heard at the hearings was that this is bad public policy.”
“The State should instead be exploring ways to repair the corridor within its current footprint. The cost savings to taxpayers would be hundreds of millions of dollars. The proposals put forward by DOT are a waste of money and I urge my colleagues in the majority party to help stop this billion dollar boondoggle.”
- Transportation: County Committee Backs I-94 ‘Fix at Six’ - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2022
- I-94 Fix-At-Six Resolution Recommended for Adoption by Milwaukee County Transportation and Transit Committee - Sup. Peter Burgelis - Nov 29th, 2022
- Rep. Brostoff Statement in Opposition to Eight-Lane I-94 Expansion - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Nov 14th, 2022
- Supervisor Burgelis Decries DOT Preferred Alternative for I-94 East-West project - Sup. Peter Burgelis - Nov 11th, 2022
- Advocates oppose expansion announcement of I-94 East-West project - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Nov 11th, 2022
- Eight-lane I-94 East-West project proposal not in the best interest of area residents - Ald. Michael Murphy - Nov 11th, 2022
- Transportation: State Picks I-94 Expansion Over ‘Fix at Six’ Proposal - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 11th, 2022
- Preferred alternative announced for I-94 East-West project, Milwaukee County - Wisconsin Department of Transportation - Nov 11th, 2022
- Op Ed: MMAC Freeway Expansion Plan Doesn’t Add Up - Jeremy Fojut - Jul 15th, 2022
- Transportation: Open Meetings For Scaled-Down Stadium Interchange - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 13th, 2022
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here