Sen. Harris Dodd and Rep. Goyke Oppose Possible Expansion of I-94 East-West Corridor
"The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences."
MADISON– State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd (D-Milwaukee) and State Representative Evan Goyke (D-Milwaukee) released the following statement upon the conclusion yesterday of public hearings hosted by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation regarding the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor:
“I believe that the Department of Transportation is misguided in their attempts to rectify the current I-94 East-West Corridor problems by spending hundreds of millions of dollars while simultaneously harming local neighborhoods and businesses,” explained State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd.
“While the I-94 East-West Corridor needs to be repaired, my constituents and I share the concern that the Department of Transportation should carefully consider other options.”
“The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences on not only the surrounding community, but the City of Milwaukee as a whole.”
“Let me be clear – I strongly oppose the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor whether it is widened or the highway is double-decked,” Rep. Goyke said.
“The expansion of the corridor footprint would be disruptive to established businesses and neighborhoods. My constituents are strongly against this and the resounding message to DOT I heard at the hearings was that this is bad public policy.”
“The State should instead be exploring ways to repair the corridor within its current footprint. The cost savings to taxpayers would be hundreds of millions of dollars. The proposals put forward by DOT are a waste of money and I urge my colleagues in the majority party to help stop this billion dollar boondoggle.”
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
- Evers Considering Abandoned $1.1 Billion I-94 Expansion - Shawn Johnson - Jul 9th, 2020
- The Contrarian: Could Milwaukee Freeway Project Be Revived? - George Mitchell - Dec 31st, 2018
- The Contrarian: Call It The Walker Bottleneck - George Mitchell - Feb 19th, 2018
- The Contrarian: Ending Freeway Project Is Historic Blunder - George Mitchell - Nov 6th, 2017
- Streetsblog: The Man Who Beat the Highway Lobby - Angie Schmitt - Oct 13th, 2017
- The Contrarian: I-94 Cancellation Has Huge Impact - George Mitchell - Oct 6th, 2017
- Three Environmental Justice Groups Ask Court to Block I-94 Expansion - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Community Forum Urges WISDOT to Scrap I-94 Expansion - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Mar 31st, 2016
- With I-94 Decision Pending, State & Local Leaders Oppose Wasteful Expansion, Call for Smarter Local Investments - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Dec 9th, 2015
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Nikiya Dodd
Milwaukee Alderwomen urge state action on additional police reform
Joint statement from Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd and Alderman Mark Borkowski