Sen. Harris Dodd and Rep. Goyke Oppose Possible Expansion of I-94 East-West Corridor
"The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences."
MADISON– State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd (D-Milwaukee) and State Representative Evan Goyke (D-Milwaukee) released the following statement upon the conclusion yesterday of public hearings hosted by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation regarding the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor:
“I believe that the Department of Transportation is misguided in their attempts to rectify the current I-94 East-West Corridor problems by spending hundreds of millions of dollars while simultaneously harming local neighborhoods and businesses,” explained State Senator Nikiya Harris Dodd.
“While the I-94 East-West Corridor needs to be repaired, my constituents and I share the concern that the Department of Transportation should carefully consider other options.”
“The state needs to conduct a more thorough investigation of the alternatives available to ensure that the final solution is both cost-effective with the least negative consequences on not only the surrounding community, but the City of Milwaukee as a whole.”
“Let me be clear – I strongly oppose the proposed expansion of the I-94 East-West corridor whether it is widened or the highway is double-decked,” Rep. Goyke said.
“The expansion of the corridor footprint would be disruptive to established businesses and neighborhoods. My constituents are strongly against this and the resounding message to DOT I heard at the hearings was that this is bad public policy.”
“The State should instead be exploring ways to repair the corridor within its current footprint. The cost savings to taxpayers would be hundreds of millions of dollars. The proposals put forward by DOT are a waste of money and I urge my colleagues in the majority party to help stop this billion dollar boondoggle.”
- Op Ed: Rebuild I-94 in Milwaukee - John Raines, John Schmitt, Terry McGowan and Tony Mayrhofer - Feb 20th, 2021
- Coalition Opposes I-94 Expansion Project - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Feb 17th, 2021
- Construction Business Group Supports Governor Evers’ State Budget Proposal - Construction Business Group - Feb 17th, 2021
- Labor Leaders Voice Support For The I-94 East-West Corridor Project - Press Release - Feb 16th, 2021
- Transportation: Council Disagrees on I-94 Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2021
- Transportation: City Pushing Back On Interstate 94 Expansion, Not Reconstruction - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 1st, 2021
- Ald. Bauman introduces resolution directing the City to lobby against I-94 reconstruction - Ald. Bob Bauman - Jan 21st, 2021
- Transportation: Interstate 94 Expansion Gets Cold Reception at City Hall - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: We Oppose I-94 Expansion - Cassie Steiner, Gregg May, Megan Severson, Lester Williams and Cheryl Nenn - Nov 18th, 2020
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here