Republicans Again Shortchanging our Kids, Betraying our Values
"We can and must do better for our kids."
MADISON – The following is a statement from Senator Chris Larson regarding yesterday’s Joint Finance Committee executive session.
“After talking with neighbors, teachers, and parents, it is clear we are in desperate need of common sense solutions that provide each Wisconsin child an opportunity to receive a quality education.
“Our neighbors deserve transparency and to know exactly how much of their money is going to fund private vouchers. Our kids with special needs deserve a quality education, making it imperative that special education rates to school districts be reimbursed at 33%. Our teaching professionals and schools need adequate resources to focus on improving student learning, strengthening families, and working with community partners to provide additional services to families.
“The funds cut through the largest cut to education in state history have yet to be restored and this budget continues to get us further away from ever getting back to a proper balance. For the first time in modern history, our state’s investment in our children’s future has fallen below the national average. Yesterday, the Republican-controlled Joint Finance Committee chose to ignore the will of the people and needs of our communities by passing another K-12 budget proposal that fails to fully invest in the future of our children. To make it worse, they also approved a massive expansion of the unaccountable voucher program and stripped over $18 million from school sparsity aid.
“We can and must do better for our kids. Under a plan by Senate Democrats, every single one of our Wisconsin school districts would see a stronger investment, allowing them to ensure our kids reach their full potential and have a shot at the American Dream.”
More about the 2017-2019 WI State Budget
- GOP Passes $76 Billion Betrayal of our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen.Taylor on Budget Passage: “It’s Shameful” - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Sep 17th, 2017
- Ringhand Statement on State Budget - State Sen. Janis Ringhand - Sep 17th, 2017
- Sen. LaTonya Johnson Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Sep 17th, 2017
- Democrats Call for Campaign Integrity to be Restored in State Budget - State Sen. Chris Larson - Sep 17th, 2017
- AFP – WI Praises Governor Walker, Senate Conservatives for Improving State Budget - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 17th, 2017
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Senate Passage of State Budget - Gov. Scott Walker - Sep 17th, 2017
- Speaker Vos Statement on Assembly Passage of 2017-2019 Budget - Wisconsin Assembly Speaker Robin Vos - Sep 14th, 2017
- AFP-Wisconsin Commends Rep. Scott Allen’s Call for PFA Audit - AFP Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2017
- Statement from Rep. Barca on Republican Budget - State Rep. Peter Barca - Sep 6th, 2017
- School aid payments delayed amid GOP budget fiasco - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 31st, 2017
- Republicans Again Shortchanging our Kids, Betraying our Values - State Sen. Chris Larson - Aug 29th, 2017
- Republicans cut rural school aid, delay payments - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Aug 28th, 2017
- GOP Plan Puts Education Last, Fails to Remediate Walker’s Historic Cuts - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 28th, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Chris Larson
State Senator Chris Larson Registers Fundraising Committee to Explore Running for Milwaukee County ExecutiveNov 12th, 2019 by State Sen. Chris Larson
"Today’s filing allows me to explore running for Milwaukee County Executive on a deeper level and a greater capacity to listen to our neighbors."
"Support for legalizing and decriminalizing marijuana in Wisconsin has grown to be popular for many reasons."
"In his first State of the State Address, Governor Evers laid out a strong vision for a first term that has a foundation in working together for the benefit of all of our friends and neighbors, not just those who can afford an army of lobbyists."