Our message to WISDOT: No expansion, we need transit options!
WISDOT has refused to consider a third option
WISDOT is currently seeking input on proposals for reconstructing I-94 between 16th Street and 70th Street. The only options presented are two forms of expansion:
- At grade expansion with 4 lanes each way – estimated cost $800 million
- Double-deck expansion – estimated cost $1.2 billion
WISDOT has refused to consider a third option:
Replacing existing concrete highway within the same footprint would cost an estimated $300 million, nearly a billion dollars less than the Double-deck proposal! Imagine the transit and local road improvements that could happen in Milwaukee with a billion dollars.
We need you to turn out to the Public Hearing, WISDOT is required to provide every attendee a chance to have their voice heard, which will be valuable in our continuing effort to fight this expansion.
There are two public hearings
- Wednesday December 3rd from 3 – 7 pm at the Tommy Thompson Youth Center 640 S. 84th Street. Accessible via routes 44, 44U and 67 (84th Street branch).
- Thursday December 4th from 5 to 8 pm at Marquette High School 3401 W. Wisconsin Avenue. Accessible via routes 10, 30 and 35.
We are encouraging all transit advocates to show up en masse at Thursday at 6pm at Marquette High School to demonstrate unified opposition to the proposal.
No matter what day and what time – the most important thing is that you show up and add you voice to the list of opposition – with a unified message: no expansion – we need transit options!
Monthly Meeting Saturday December 6, 2014 at 10:00am
Our monthly meeting is Saturday December 6th. We’ll discuss next steps to oppose the I-94 Expansion and push for transit alternatives. See you there!
- Op Ed: Rebuild I-94 in Milwaukee - John Raines, John Schmitt, Terry McGowan and Tony Mayrhofer - Feb 20th, 2021
- Coalition Opposes I-94 Expansion Project - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Feb 17th, 2021
- Construction Business Group Supports Governor Evers’ State Budget Proposal - Construction Business Group - Feb 17th, 2021
- Labor Leaders Voice Support For The I-94 East-West Corridor Project - Press Release - Feb 16th, 2021
- Transportation: Council Disagrees on I-94 Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 9th, 2021
- Transportation: City Pushing Back On Interstate 94 Expansion, Not Reconstruction - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 1st, 2021
- Ald. Bauman introduces resolution directing the City to lobby against I-94 reconstruction - Ald. Bob Bauman - Jan 21st, 2021
- Transportation: Interstate 94 Expansion Gets Cold Reception at City Hall - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: We Oppose I-94 Expansion - Cassie Steiner, Gregg May, Megan Severson, Lester Williams and Cheryl Nenn - Nov 18th, 2020
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Transit Riders Union
The only option available for dedicated transit funding in Milwaukee County is the Vehicle Registration Fee.
The event titled Uniting Metro-Milwaukee: Jobs and Justice will take place at 5:00pm on Thursday June 5, 2014 at the Hillside Terrace Resource Center, 1452 N. 7th St.
With this year's record cold temperatures, transit riders have been forced to brave the cold while waiting for the bus.