Our message to WISDOT: No expansion, we need transit options!
WISDOT has refused to consider a third option
WISDOT is currently seeking input on proposals for reconstructing I-94 between 16th Street and 70th Street. The only options presented are two forms of expansion:
- At grade expansion with 4 lanes each way – estimated cost $800 million
- Double-deck expansion – estimated cost $1.2 billion
WISDOT has refused to consider a third option:
Replacing existing concrete highway within the same footprint would cost an estimated $300 million, nearly a billion dollars less than the Double-deck proposal! Imagine the transit and local road improvements that could happen in Milwaukee with a billion dollars.
We need you to turn out to the Public Hearing, WISDOT is required to provide every attendee a chance to have their voice heard, which will be valuable in our continuing effort to fight this expansion.
There are two public hearings
- Wednesday December 3rd from 3 – 7 pm at the Tommy Thompson Youth Center 640 S. 84th Street. Accessible via routes 44, 44U and 67 (84th Street branch).
- Thursday December 4th from 5 to 8 pm at Marquette High School 3401 W. Wisconsin Avenue. Accessible via routes 10, 30 and 35.
We are encouraging all transit advocates to show up en masse at Thursday at 6pm at Marquette High School to demonstrate unified opposition to the proposal.
No matter what day and what time – the most important thing is that you show up and add you voice to the list of opposition – with a unified message: no expansion – we need transit options!
Monthly Meeting Saturday December 6, 2014 at 10:00am
Our monthly meeting is Saturday December 6th. We’ll discuss next steps to oppose the I-94 Expansion and push for transit alternatives. See you there!
- Op Ed: Don’t Expand I-94 - James Davies - Jul 18th, 2020
- Evers Considering Abandoned $1.1 Billion I-94 Expansion - Shawn Johnson - Jul 9th, 2020
- The Contrarian: Could Milwaukee Freeway Project Be Revived? - George Mitchell - Dec 31st, 2018
- The Contrarian: Call It The Walker Bottleneck - George Mitchell - Feb 19th, 2018
- The Contrarian: Ending Freeway Project Is Historic Blunder - George Mitchell - Nov 6th, 2017
- Streetsblog: The Man Who Beat the Highway Lobby - Angie Schmitt - Oct 13th, 2017
- The Contrarian: I-94 Cancellation Has Huge Impact - George Mitchell - Oct 6th, 2017
- Three Environmental Justice Groups Ask Court to Block I-94 Expansion - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Community Forum Urges WISDOT to Scrap I-94 Expansion - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Mar 31st, 2016
- With I-94 Decision Pending, State & Local Leaders Oppose Wasteful Expansion, Call for Smarter Local Investments - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Dec 9th, 2015
Read more about I-94 East-West Expansion here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Transit Riders Union
The only option available for dedicated transit funding in Milwaukee County is the Vehicle Registration Fee.
The event titled Uniting Metro-Milwaukee: Jobs and Justice will take place at 5:00pm on Thursday June 5, 2014 at the Hillside Terrace Resource Center, 1452 N. 7th St.
With this year's record cold temperatures, transit riders have been forced to brave the cold while waiting for the bus.