Kenosha activists respond to tonight’s Officer Sheskey announcement
“The decision to put Rusten Sheskey back on our streets isn’t a slap in the face. It’s seven shots in the back of every Black and brown person in Kenosha, and the message is clear: your lives aren’t worth the effort,” said Justin Blake and the Leaders of Kenosha. “For years, people in power have let outdated laws and piecemeal solutions prop up America’s racist culture of policing. President Biden promised the Blake family and Black and brown families across the country that he’d take bold action in his first 100 days. We expect him to end his silence on this and other recent police murders, and take action now.”
Organizers are currently planning actions in response to the decision. Respond to this email, or call or text Madeline Stocker at 860.808.7857 to stay connected to future actions.
The Leaders of Kenosha is a grassroots organizing group formed after the Justice for Jacob protests, led by local activists engaged in racial justice work. LOK works to ensure equitable access to resources and opportunities in Kenosha and throughout Wisconsin and the United States, with a focus on the Black community.
The Wisconsin Working Families Party is a multiracial grassroots political group that recruits, trains and elects progressive leaders across the state.
NOTE: This press release was submitted to Urban Milwaukee and was not written by an Urban Milwaukee writer. It has not been verified for its accuracy or completeness.
- No Federal Charges For Officer That Shot Jacob Blake - Madeline Fox - Oct 8th, 2021
- Federal Officials Close Review of the Officer-Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake - U.S. Department of Justice - Oct 8th, 2021
- WisGOP Statement on One-Year Anniversary of Kenosha Violence - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Aug 24th, 2021
- One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting Kenosha Seeks Answers - Isiah Holmes and Henry Redman - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement One Year After Jacob Blake Shooting - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 23rd, 2021
- Kenosha Activists Arrested During Protest of Jacob Blake - Henry Redman - May 6th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Wisconsin Police Donated to Officer that Shot Jacob Blake - Jenny Peek and Corrinne Hess - Apr 16th, 2021
- Kenosha activists respond to tonight’s Officer Sheskey announcement - Leaders of Kenosha - Apr 13th, 2021
- Kenosha Police Department Statement on Officer Rusten Sheskey’s Return From Administrative Leave - Kenosha Police Department - Apr 13th, 2021
Read more about Shooting of Jacob Blake here