Alderman Bauman’s bullying of Assistant City Attorney is unacceptable
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan - December 6, 2017
This morning – during a Public Works Committee hearing on city policies regarding the carrying and display of firearms by city-hired contractors or subcontractors – Alderman Bauman decided to go “all in” with an interrogation of one of our assistant city attorneys.
The assistant city attorney, who was present to explain the opinion of the City Attorney on the matter at hand, was grilled by Alderman Bauman about her personal views and beliefs on the issue of workers carrying firearms at city worksites. He literally demanded that she provide her personal beliefs on the issue, and did so in a very public setting – a public meeting televised live on the City Channel.
This is completely unacceptable and I believe Alderman Bauman owes the assistant city attorney a full public apology for the brow-beating she endured. She clearly explained her role and defended her right to keep her personal beliefs and views out of this important public meeting.
It’s always been my experience that when you allow a bully to practice his craft undeterred, he will keep right on bullying with impunity. I am calling out Alderman Bauman here and I hope my colleagues do the same.
Sadly, it looks like there is now a litmus test that if you don’t agree with Alderman Bauman your job at City Hall may be in jeopardy. In my view, that’s the impression he’s giving.
Finally, I have faith that all of us are big enough to admit when we are wrong. I sincerely hope Alderman Bauman can rise to the occasion.
More about the Contractor Gun Debate
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Releases Contractor Gun Photo - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 5th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Another Contractor Caught With Gun - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 30th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Settles with American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 17th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Kills Contracts With American Sewer - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Stamper Introduces Bill to Fire American Sewer Services - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Ban On Contractors With Guns Passed - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 19th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Embattled Company Leader Absent at Hearing - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 18th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Labor Groups Rally Against KKK Supporter - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2017
- Sewer contractor to appear before the Steering & Rules Committee to address racist symbols at work-site - City of Milwaukee - Dec 11th, 2017
- Statement from American Sewer Services, Inc. - Press Release - Dec 11th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Worker With KKK Cooler Fired - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 11th, 2017
- Alderman Zielinski seeks review of DPW work that has been outsourced - Ald. Tony Zielinski - Dec 11th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Contractor’s Worker Displays KKK Sign - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 8th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Donovan Runs Afoul of City Gun Policy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 7th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Ban Contractors From Carrying Guns? - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2017
- Alderman Bauman’s bullying of Assistant City Attorney is unacceptable - Ald. Bob Donovan - Dec 6th, 2017
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Bob Donovan
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan - July 19, 2018
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan - June 27, 2018
Council approves FPC executive director measure, OKs move to push for hiring seasonal police officersJun 20th, 2018 by Ald. Bob Donovan
News release from Alderman Bob Donovan