ACLU of Wisconsin Calls For Reduced Law Enforcement Presence Due to Scaled Down Democratic National Convention
MILWAUKEE – The ACLU of Wisconsin today called for a decreased law enforcement presence after it was announced last week that Joe Biden would not come to Milwaukee for the Democratic National Convention and the event would be largely held virtually.
“The DNC’s presence in Milwaukee has diminished to a small fraction of its originally anticipated size. While some security precautions may remain necessary for the few events in the city, a large, militarized law enforcement presence is unnecessarily provocative and counterproductive, as recent events in Portland have demonstrated,” said Larry Dupuis, legal director of the ACLU of Wisconsin.
“Law enforcement has a duty to protect the First Amendment rights of protesters who wish to express themselves at the convention, not to intimidate and chill speech with aggressive tactics and displays of force. The ACLU of Wisconsin calls on federal law enforcement to reduce its presence and visibility in the city, and on local law enforcement to refrain from using indiscriminate weapons like tear gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray on protesters,” Dupuis said.
This statement is available online at:
- City Hall: How Much Did DNC Cost Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 16th, 2020
- Get Your DNC Memorabilia - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Will Biden’s DNC Snub Hurt Him In State? - Bruce Murphy - Aug 24th, 2020
- Activist Coalition Holds Largest March of DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 21st, 2020
- DNC: Last Night Brings Little Exposure for Milwaukee - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 20th, 2020
- With DNC as Backdrop, A Discussion of Black Liberation - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- Suburban Protesters March From Tosa to DNC - Ethan Duran - Aug 20th, 2020
- DNC: With A “Holy Mackerel” Tony Evers Kicks Off DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 19th, 2020
- DNC Rural Council Snubs Wisconsin - Henry Redman - Aug 19th, 2020
- Pop-Up Poetry Protest Performs Downtown - Ethan Duran - Aug 19th, 2020
Read more about DNC here