50 Plaintiffs Sue Wauwatosa
Lawsuit charges police responded to protests with "brutal, violent and unconstitutional tactics."
In October, the city of Wauwatosa implemented a 7 p.m. curfew and called in the National Guard to protect the city amid fears that the protests could turn violent.
The suit also claims that the Wauwatosa Police Department and “other operational partners” responded to the demonstrations with “brutal, violent and unconstitutional tactics.”
The protests in Wauwatosa came in the wake of an announcement by Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm that a local police officer, Joseph Mensah, would not face criminal charges for the fatal shooting of Alvin Cole.
Mensah had already been cleared in two previous fatal on-duty shootings.
In the hours leading up to the verdict, McBride made the call to send in the National Guard and enact the curfew. The ensuing protests led to the arrest of dozens of people, including members of the Cole family and journalists.
Cole’s mother, Tracy Cole, is among the 50 plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The lawsuit states that the plaintiffs were ticketed, arrested and/or harassed in Wauwatosa for being present or engaging in the protests.
“There is no factual or legal merit to the allegations in the complaint, and we expect to fully prevail,” McBride said. Chief Weber has since announced his retirement, effective June 1, the Journal Sentinel reports.
More Than 50 Plaintiffs Bring Lawsuit Against City Of Wauwatosa For Handling Of Protests was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- DA Explains Timing of Alvin Cole Decision - Isiah Holmes - Apr 15th, 2021
- Did DA Delay Mensah Decision Due To Kenosha Unrest? - Isiah Holmes - Apr 8th, 2021
- Tosa Police Chief Will Testify in New Mensah Case - Corri Hess - Mar 25th, 2021
- Was Jay Anderson’s Killing Properly Investigated? - Isiah Holmes - Mar 10th, 2021
- 50 Plaintiffs Sue Wauwatosa - Hannah Haynes - Mar 7th, 2021
- ACLU Calls for National Search for Tosa Police Chief - Isiah Holmes - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Waukesha Faith Group Questions Mensah Hiring - Isiah Holmes - Feb 18th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Statement on One-Year Anniversary of the Killing of Alvin Cole - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 2nd, 2021
- About Those Phones Taken By Tosa Police - Isiah Holmes - Feb 1st, 2021
- ACLU Blasts Waukesha Sheriff on Mensah Hiring - Isiah Holmes - Jan 27th, 2021
Read more about Case of Officer Joseph Mensah here