Supervisor Clancy Applauds Probable Cause Decision in Death of Jay Anderson, Jr.
MILWAUKEE – Yesterday Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge Glenn Yamahiro announced that he found probable cause to charge Joseph Mensah, a former Wauwatosa Police Officer, in the 2016 killing of Jay Anderson, Jr.
County Supervisor Ryan Clancy released the following statement on the decision:
“Yesterday, I listened to Judge Yamahiro’s decision to find probable cause to charge former Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah with homicide by negligent use of a firearm in the murder of Jay Anderson, Jr. I listened to the vivid, compelling details built by attorney Kimberley Motley and laid out by Judge Yamahiro: how Mensah’s actions ensured that little camera footage would come to light, his failure to deescalate, and the total lack of evidence that Jay Anderson, Jr. was reaching for a gun. In fact, Jay Anderson, Jr. was shot while looking ahead and sitting upright.
“Although the clear failures and corruption in this case are unfortunately not unique and are far too common across the county, the charges are an exception to the rule. I stand with the Anderson family in applauding this decision.
“We must be clear: unlawful and unwarranted police violence is not a problem that we can fix one case at a time. It is a systemic problem that demands bold action. Mensah is not a ‘bad apple.’ He’s part of a larger system which trains, supports, defends, and continues to employ an officer who killed three people in five years. I am deeply grateful to those pushing to ensure that this system is replaced with alternatives rooted in real justice.”
Judge Yamahiro will appoint a special prosecutor within 60 days to oversee the case.
- Alvin Cole Family Files Civil Rights Lawsuit Against Wauwatosa - Isiah Holmes - Jul 29th, 2022
- Special Prosecutors Won’t File Charges in Jay Anderson Killing - Isiah Holmes - Jun 2nd, 2022
- Did Tosa Police Withhold Phone Data? - Isiah Holmes - Mar 20th, 2022
- Three Tosa Police Given Immunity in Jay Anderson Probe - Isiah Holmes - Feb 1st, 2022
- Special Prosecutors Appointed in Case Against Joseph Mensah - Corri Hess - Dec 8th, 2021
- Supervisor Clancy Applauds Probable Cause Decision in Death of Jay Anderson, Jr. - Sup. Ryan Clancy - Jul 29th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Statement on John Doe Charging Decision Against Joseph Mensah - State Rep. David Bowen - Jul 28th, 2021
- Closing Arguments Delivered On Jay Anderson’s Killing - Isiah Holmes - May 20th, 2021
- Tosa Police Had Many ‘High Value Targets’ - Isiah Holmes - May 12th, 2021
- Tosa Police Chief Testifies About Mensah - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
Read more about Case of Officer Joseph Mensah here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Sup. Ryan Clancy
Divested funds to be spent on human needs and infrastructure.