The Couture Gets Financing Extension
State office building slated for near west side, Grand Ave might get $9 million.
The Couture, a proposed 44-story apartment tower, received another deadline extension, this time from the federal government.
Barrett Lo Visionary Development is currently working on an application to the Department of Housing and Urban Development seeking a “firm commitment” for a federal loan guarantee on an $80 million private loan that will constitute the bulk of financing for The Couture, Tom Daykin reported in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
The development group missed the original January 26 deadline, after being invited by HUD to submit in October. The deadline ended up being the day after the federal government shutdown ended, Daykin reported. And Barrett Lo has been busy pulling together reports on compliance with environmentally sustainable building standards.
Grand Avenue Development Might Get $9 million Subsidy
The Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee will soon consider a tax-incremental financing district to include the former Grand Avenue Mall, potentially providing $9 million to the redevelopment project, Alex Zank reported in BizTimes.
The project, called The Avenue, is a planned mixed-use redevelopment of The Shops of Grand Avenue. And one of The Avenue’s co-owners, Tony Janowiec, told Zank the funds would go towards moving a second-floor public walkway to the first floor, facade improvements and the construction of a public plaza.
State Office Building Funding in Evers’ Budget Proposal
Gov. Tony Evers‘ budget proposal includes $98.5 million for the construction of a new office building.
The proposal calls for a 200,000 square foot building with a 680-stall parking garage, Daykin reported.
The governor’s proposal indicates the site for the new building is likely a vacant 2.3-acre parcel on the near west side. It’s one of two locations selected by Gov. Scott Walker’s administration as potential sites, the other being an underused five-story building at 501 W. Michigan St.
Because the proposal calls for construction of a new building, the vacant parcel would be the likeliest spot. Near West Side Partners, a non-profit organization, spent millions forming the site through limited liability companies.
The current state office building in Milwaukee is at 819 N. 6th St.
In Other News:
- New Downtown Boutique Hotel Planned
- Erecting a National Leader?
- Construction to Start on Three Downtown Hotels
- Journal Complex Historic for Now
- Marcus Center Decision Delayed A Month
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the Couture
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Still No Deal For The Couture. Yet - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: NBA Player Plans Downtown Apartments - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2019
- Transportation: Couture Streetcar Extension Decision Pushed to June 2020 - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 2nd, 2019
- Transportation: City Struggles on Couture Streetcar Extension - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- MKE County: Supervisors Question Couture Project - Graham Kilmer - Sep 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Getting New Signage - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Changes Financing Plan - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 28th, 2019
- Transportation: City Confident Couture Won’t Block Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 5th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - May 27th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Gets Financing Extension - Graham Kilmer - Mar 10th, 2019
- MKE County: County Committee Mollified on Couture - Graham Kilmer - Dec 4th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Cleared for Takeoff - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 2nd, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Still in Limbo - Graham Kilmer - Oct 21st, 2018
- Plats and Parcels: County Officials Suggest Taking Back Couture Site - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Multiple Tower Groundbreakings in 2018 - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture Seeks Commercial Tenants - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Couture Sewer Subsidy - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture’s Surprise Sewer Being Moved - Jeramey Jannene - May 23rd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves The Couture - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 18th, 2017
- Changes Made to Couture’s Design - Graham Kilmer - Apr 10th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Second Lakefront Tower Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 3rd, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Transit Center Tower Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 8th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Goodbye Downtown Transit Center - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 30th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture is Finally Happening - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2016
- New Front Door for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2013
- County Threatened With Lakefront Lawsuit - Dave Reid - Jul 24th, 2012
- Photo Gallery: The Couture Press Conference - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2012
- The Chatter: Abele vs County Board — Again - Bruce Murphy - Jul 12th, 2012
- 44-Floor Tower Proposed for Lakefront - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 11th, 2012