The Couture Gets Financing Extension
State office building slated for near west side, Grand Ave might get $9 million.
The Couture, a proposed 44-story apartment tower, received another deadline extension, this time from the federal government.
Barrett Lo Visionary Development is currently working on an application to the Department of Housing and Urban Development seeking a “firm commitment” for a federal loan guarantee on an $80 million private loan that will constitute the bulk of financing for The Couture, Tom Daykin reported in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
The development group missed the original January 26 deadline, after being invited by HUD to submit in October. The deadline ended up being the day after the federal government shutdown ended, Daykin reported. And Barrett Lo has been busy pulling together reports on compliance with environmentally sustainable building standards.
Grand Avenue Development Might Get $9 million Subsidy
The Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee will soon consider a tax-incremental financing district to include the former Grand Avenue Mall, potentially providing $9 million to the redevelopment project, Alex Zank reported in BizTimes.
The project, called The Avenue, is a planned mixed-use redevelopment of The Shops of Grand Avenue. And one of The Avenue’s co-owners, Tony Janowiec, told Zank the funds would go towards moving a second-floor public walkway to the first floor, facade improvements and the construction of a public plaza.
State Office Building Funding in Evers’ Budget Proposal
Gov. Tony Evers‘ budget proposal includes $98.5 million for the construction of a new office building.
The proposal calls for a 200,000 square foot building with a 680-stall parking garage, Daykin reported.
The governor’s proposal indicates the site for the new building is likely a vacant 2.3-acre parcel on the near west side. It’s one of two locations selected by Gov. Scott Walker’s administration as potential sites, the other being an underused five-story building at 501 W. Michigan St.
Because the proposal calls for construction of a new building, the vacant parcel would be the likeliest spot. Near West Side Partners, a non-profit organization, spent millions forming the site through limited liability companies.
The current state office building in Milwaukee is at 819 N. 6th St.
In Other News:
- New Downtown Boutique Hotel Planned
- Erecting a National Leader?
- Construction to Start on Three Downtown Hotels
- Journal Complex Historic for Now
- Marcus Center Decision Delayed A Month
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Couture to Start Construction in January - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Developer Applies For Federal Loan Guarantee - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 5th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: The Couture Developer Secures Financing - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 26th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Still No Deal For The Couture. Yet - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: NBA Player Plans Downtown Apartments - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2019
- Transportation: Couture Streetcar Extension Decision Pushed to June 2020 - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 2nd, 2019
- Transportation: City Struggles on Couture Streetcar Extension - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 12th, 2019
- MKE County: Supervisors Question Couture Project - Graham Kilmer - Sep 11th, 2019
- Plats and Parcels: The Couture Getting New Signage - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 25th, 2019
Read more about Couture here
- Evers’ Capital Budget Spends $2.4 Billion - Shawn Johnson and Rich Kremer - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Near West Side Partners Applauds Governor Evers’ Proposed Funding of State Office Building in Near West Side - Near West Side Partners, Inc. - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: New State Office Building Project Takes Major Step Forward - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces Building Commission Approves Projects - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 11th, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: State Grant Will Support 27th and Wisconsin Demolition - Jeramey Jannene - May 3rd, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: No New State Office Building Until 2022? - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: State Office Building Gets Boost - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 27th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: “Catalytic” West Side Project Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 10th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: New Apartments Near Streetcar Line - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2019
Read more about New State Office Building here