Track The Hop in Real Time
Yes, real time data is now available, so you know exactly when to catch the streetcar.
No more staring down the street, wondering when the next streetcar might come. You can now track the position of The Hop using real-time data.
The service, originally promised to be operational in December, is provided by TransLoc. “We’re still in the early stages of rolling out this real-time solution and will continue working to add additional amenities and monitor the system’s accuracy, but given the inclement weather we’re experiencing we wanted to get this asset into the hands of our riders as quickly as possible,” Department of Public Works Commissioner Jeff Polenske said in a statement.
The real-time service provides an upgrade over the existing schedule by calculating up-to-the-minute arrival times at each station based on vehicle locations.
And if you’re at home with nothing better to do on a snow day, like today, you can load up the map and watch the vehicles go up and down the two-mile route.
The Milwaukee County Transit System has provided real-time data to bus riders since 2014. The data, which can be found in a number of third-party smartphone applications, has been integrated into the system’s fast-growing ticketing app.
Officials with The Hop did not immediately release information on how to access real-time data for integration with existing or planned mobile apps, including countdown timers in businesses along the route.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
For more project details, including the project timeline, financing, route and possible extensions, see our extensive past coverage.
- Transportation: First Streetcar Smart Kiosks Installed - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 3rd, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: Lakefront Streetcar Extension Scheduled for June 2022 Opening - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 6th, 2020
- Transportation: Should Milwaukee Stop The Hop? - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 13th, 2020
- Transportation: The Hop Now Wears a Mask - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 18th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is A Couture Deal Finally Coming? - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2020
- Transportation: SUV Driver Runs Into The Hop - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 28th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Kiosks Could Bring In $500,000 Annually - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 20th, 2020
- Thanks A Million, Hop Riders! - The Hop - Feb 19th, 2020
- Transportation: We Energies Will Sponsor Streetcar - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 10th, 2020
- Transportation: Streetcar Ridership Up in January Versus 2019 - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2020
Read more about Milwaukee Streetcar here