Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC
City will know soon if it will host the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
Organizers of Milwaukee’s bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention say they will know soon if the city will host the event.
Right now organizers are hoping weather will play favorably in the decision as well as Wisconsin being a battleground state. But insuring Milwaukee has enough money is also an issue. Organizers are looking for a third-party entity to guarantee at least a $10 million line of credit for the bid.
If Milwaukee is selected, it would cost $50 million to $60 million to stage the event, which was proposed to be held at the Fiserv Forum, where the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks play.
Lt. Gov.-elect Mandela Barnes serves on the convention bid committee and says the money will sort itself out because there is a lot for everyone to gain if the DNC comes to Milwaukee.
“That money comes back,” Barnes told WPR. “We’re talking about 40,000 people who have to get a hotel room, 40,000 people who have to eat, 40,000 people who want to do something besides … sit in a convention center all day. And with that being said, our business leaders recognize this.”
Philadelphia hosted the 2016 DNC. It reportedly had a $231 million economic impact.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the $10 million line of credit would serve as a guarantee for the bid. Philadelphia’s host committee raised $85.4 million for the 2016 convention, which included a $10 million grant from Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development, according to the Journal Sentinel.
Through a spokesman, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said he was interested in finding the money for the convention but not at the expense of taxpayers.
Barrett said a possibility is working with Visit Milwaukee, the city’s convention bureau or the Wisconsin Center District, the entity that owns the convention center, the Fiserv Forum, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panther Arena and the Milwaukee Theatre.
Barnes said between now and when the DNC location is announced, the convention committee — which also includes Gov.-elect Tony Evers, Congresswoman Gwen Moore, U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin and Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele — will be working on their sales pitch.
“We’re figuring this whole puzzle out and making sure we do have the resources out to make this a success,” Barnes said. “And that means involving corporate partners, political partners and community partners as well.”
Listen to the WPR report here.
Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Milwaukee 2020 DNC Committee Will Secure Funding Needed was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the 2020 Democratic National Convention
- Perez Sees Regional Impact For DNC Convention - Corri Hess - Apr 24th, 2019
- City Hall: What’s the Infrastructure Plan for DNC? - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 4th, 2019
- 4 Ways To Get Involved In DNC - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 15th, 2019
- Transportation: Streetcar Extension Planned To Start in September - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- City Hall: To Host DNC, Barrett Must Be Reelected - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 14th, 2019
- Why Did Democrats Choose Milwaukee? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: City Approves DNC Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Hall: 12 Rules For City in DNC Convention Contract - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- City Wins 2020 Democratic Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 11th, 2019
- Milwaukee Named Host City for 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Mar 11th, 2019
- Statement by IBEW Local 494 Business Manager on Milwaukee being selected to host the 2020 Democratic National Convention - International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494 - Mar 11th, 2019
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Barnes Confident Funding Will be Secured to Host DNC - Corri Hess - Dec 27th, 2018
- Co-Chairs of the Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Host Committee Announced - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Dec 17th, 2018
- Will Election Help City Get Convention? - Corri Hess - Nov 12th, 2018
- In the DNC Selection Process, Milwaukee is the Crème de la Crème - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jul 23rd, 2018
- Milwaukee Named Finalist for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 20th, 2018
- Milwaukee Submits Bid for the 2020 Democratic National Convention - Milwaukee 2020 DNC Convention Committee - Jun 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Meet the Finalists for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - May 11th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Bidding for Democratic National Convention - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 21st, 2018