Veterans ask state to give priorities to prisoners, veterans homes for COVID-19 vaccine
Prisoners should get high priority as Wisconsin makes decisions on who should be among the first to be vaccinated against COVID-19, Milwaukee Veterans For Peace told a state panel making recommendations on the vaccine distribution.
“We believe that being incarcerated in Wisconsin is not meant to be a death sentence. But for many in our Dept. of Corrections, and local prisons or jails, this will be the case unless you act promptly and take effective action,” the veterans group said in a letter to the State Disaster Medical Advisory Committee (SDMAC). “We would request that your committee include in priority No. 1, those who are involuntarily confined, and are packed into small quarters without the possibility of being physically or socially distanced from others”
“The story from the Dept. of Corrections during COVID 19 has been a tragedy and we hope that vaccine distribution will show a more progressive, and humane approach to caring for all who are under the care of the state.”
“We are also concerned about residents in the three state veterans homes, but assume they will be included in the first priority along with other nursing home patients,” the letter said.
- DHS Provides Update on Omicron Variant - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 3rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Firefighter Brandon R. Romo - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Americans for Prosperity Calls on Gov. Evers to Protect WI Workers Against Misguided Vaccine & Testing Mandates - AFP Wisconsin - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Protecting against a new variant - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Get Vaccinated, Get Your Photo With Championship Trophy - Annie Mattea - Dec 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake’s Statement on CDC’s Recommendation of Booster Doses for All Adults - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 30th, 2021
- Advisory from the City of Milwaukee Commissioner of Health - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 30th, 2021
- State Health Officials Await Data On Omicron - Rich Kremer - Nov 30th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor Master Trooper Daniel Stainbrook - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 29th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Veterans for Peace
The event is free and open to the public.