U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Call for Bipartisan Senate Select Committee Investigation of Russian Interference in 2016 Election
Supports Obama Administration Sanctions Against Russia
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin today announced her support for a new Senate Select Committee on Cyber to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election and develop a comprehensive legislative package to address gaps in current cyber laws to better deter and defend against further cyberattacks.
“Congress has a responsibility to get to the bottom of this. That is why I support a new, bipartisan Senate Select Committee on Cyber to investigate how the Russian government interfered in our election and sought to influence it,” Senator Baldwin said.
Senator Baldwin also announced her support for the actions taken by the Obama Administration in response to the Russian government’s aggressive harassment of U.S. officials and cyber operations aimed at the U.S. election.
“While President-elect Trump has encouraged, dismissed and even defended these attacks on America, I support President Obama’s response to the Russian government’s cyberattacks on our election. Our intelligence community has made clear these attacks were aimed at interfering with and influencing our election and they cannot be ignored. America is stronger when we are united and have the backbone to stand up to Russia’s aggression,” Senator Baldwin said.
Last Thursday, the F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security released a report detailing the ways that the Russian government acted to interfere with and influence the American election through cyberespionage. President Obama also authorized a number of actions in response to the Russian government’s hacking of our American election.
More about the Russian Affair
- Op Ed: Is Walker a Russian Dupe? - Bill Kaplan - Jul 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Political Operation Snagged $250,000 Check Mere Days After Meeting With Accused Russian Spy - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 20th, 2018
- What’s Walker Hiding? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jul 18th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Russian Operative Highlights Walker’s NRA Ties - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jul 18th, 2018
- Matt Flynn Blasts Scott Walker for Meeting with Russian Spy - Matt Flynn - Jul 16th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Giuliani Can’t Practice Law in D.C. - Michael Horne - Jun 28th, 2018
- Pocan Statement Regarding Reports that Russian-Linked Facebook Ads Targeted Wisconsin - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Oct 4th, 2017
- Wisconsin Notified of Unsuccessful Russian Hacking Attempt - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Wisconsin A Key State for Russian Hacking - Bruce Murphy - Aug 8th, 2017
- Report Suggests Wisconsin Voters Targeted by Collusion Between Trump Campaign, Russian Fake News Operation - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 13th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Statement on Former FBI Director James Comey’s Testimony on Trump and Russia - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Jun 8th, 2017
- Speaker Paul Ryan Swears House GOP To Secrecy Regarding Trump’s Ties To Russia, Spokesperson Lies About The Conversation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 17th, 2017
- As FBI Confirms Russia Investigation - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 21st, 2017
- FBI Investigation into Links Between Trump/Russia Highlights Need for Special Prosecutor - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 20th, 2017
- Revelations about Sessions’ Contact with Russia Warrants his Removal - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Mar 2nd, 2017
- Senators Call for Independent Prosecutor to Investigate Trump Officials’ Collusion with Russia and Apparent White House Cover-Up - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 15th, 2017
- Rep. Pocan Urges President Trump to Fully Declassify Report on Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Feb 14th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Ron Johnson Asleep on Russian Hacking? - Bruce Murphy - Jan 10th, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Call for Bipartisan Senate Select Committee Investigation of Russian Interference in 2016 Election - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 3rd, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on Russian Cyberattacks - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 16th, 2016
- Wisconsin Comrades Set to Welcome Donald Trump, Whitewash Russian Attempts to Influence Elections - One Wisconsin Now - Dec 13th, 2016
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin’s Bipartisan Legislation to Undo Tax Hike on Gold Star Families Passes SenateMay 24th, 2019 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
"This bipartisan legislation is a much-needed fix to the 2017 law that unfairly raised taxes on these hardworking families and I’m proud to see it pass the Senate."
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Statement on Senate Republicans’ Obstruction of Vote to Protect People with Pre-Existing ConditionsMay 22nd, 2019 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Senate Republicans Support Trump’s Expansion of Junk Plans That Don’t Have to Cover Pre-Existing Health Conditions
"The House has taken an historic step forward by passing the Equality Act..."