U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Call for Bipartisan Senate Select Committee Investigation of Russian Interference in 2016 Election
Supports Obama Administration Sanctions Against Russia
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin today announced her support for a new Senate Select Committee on Cyber to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election and develop a comprehensive legislative package to address gaps in current cyber laws to better deter and defend against further cyberattacks.
“Congress has a responsibility to get to the bottom of this. That is why I support a new, bipartisan Senate Select Committee on Cyber to investigate how the Russian government interfered in our election and sought to influence it,” Senator Baldwin said.
Senator Baldwin also announced her support for the actions taken by the Obama Administration in response to the Russian government’s aggressive harassment of U.S. officials and cyber operations aimed at the U.S. election.
“While President-elect Trump has encouraged, dismissed and even defended these attacks on America, I support President Obama’s response to the Russian government’s cyberattacks on our election. Our intelligence community has made clear these attacks were aimed at interfering with and influencing our election and they cannot be ignored. America is stronger when we are united and have the backbone to stand up to Russia’s aggression,” Senator Baldwin said.
Last Thursday, the F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security released a report detailing the ways that the Russian government acted to interfere with and influence the American election through cyberespionage. President Obama also authorized a number of actions in response to the Russian government’s hacking of our American election.
- Op Ed: Is Walker a Russian Dupe? - Bill Kaplan - Jul 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Political Operation Snagged $250,000 Check Mere Days After Meeting With Accused Russian Spy - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 20th, 2018
- What’s Walker Hiding? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jul 18th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Russian Operative Highlights Walker’s NRA Ties - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jul 18th, 2018
- Matt Flynn Blasts Scott Walker for Meeting with Russian Spy - Matt Flynn - Jul 16th, 2018
- Plenty of Horne: Giuliani Can’t Practice Law in D.C. - Michael Horne - Jun 28th, 2018
- Pocan Statement Regarding Reports that Russian-Linked Facebook Ads Targeted Wisconsin - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Oct 4th, 2017
- Wisconsin Notified of Unsuccessful Russian Hacking Attempt - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Wisconsin A Key State for Russian Hacking - Bruce Murphy - Aug 8th, 2017
- Report Suggests Wisconsin Voters Targeted by Collusion Between Trump Campaign, Russian Fake News Operation - One Wisconsin Now - Jul 13th, 2017
Read more about Russian Affair here
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Baldwin, Levin, Murray, Scott Reintroduce Legislation to Provide Two Free Years of Community CollegeApr 27th, 2021 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
The America's College Promise Act creates federal-state partnerships to provide two years of tuition-free access to community or technical college programs that lead to a degree or industry-recognized credential.
Bipartisan, bicameral DAIRY PRIDE Act fights back against non-dairy products that are mislabeled as milk, yogurt and cheese
U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin and Marco Rubio Introduce Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation to Make Sure it is Built to LastApr 21st, 2021 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
The Built to Last Act helps ensure infrastructure can better withstand extreme weather damage