The Medical College of Wisconsin Applauds Governor Evers Commitment to Cancer Research
“MCW commends Governor Evers for his leadership and support to lessen the cancer burden in the state of Wisconsin and beyond,” said John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, MCW President and CEO.
As part of his executive budget proposal, Governor Tony Evers announced today he will invest $15 million in a cancer research facility at the Medical College of Wisconsin to reduce the cancer burden of Wisconsinites through research, education and outreach into the causes, prevention, early detection and treatment of cancer.
“MCW commends Governor Evers for his leadership and support to lessen the cancer burden in the state of Wisconsin and beyond,” said John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, MCW President and CEO. “Cancer is a devastating problem in Wisconsin and takes from our citizens opportunity, health, vitality and – far too often – their life. Research accelerates our pathways to cures, and we are pleased Governor Evers shares our commitment and vision to pioneer opportunities of hope for the future.”
The Governor announced his budget proposal will include a $15 million State Building Commission grant for a cancer research facility at MCW. Cancer rates and mortality are higher in Wisconsin vs. the United States, and Wisconsin’s minorities suffer from significantly higher incidence and mortality rates.
“Cancer research is one of the top research priorities at MCW,” said Dr. Raymond. “This investment and partnership will be a catalyst to attract additional federal and private research funding, create new biotech startups, and most importantly improve the health of the citizens of the state.”
A new cancer research building at MCW would have a statewide benefit for all Wisconsin residents, leading to new research discoveries and cures in cancer. These will include opportunities to recruit faculty and build programs that will:
- Reduce cancer disparities in Wisconsin: Wisconsin has some of the greatest disparities in diagnosis and survival among less-advantaged populations in the United States, this new building will have an emphasis on ending those disparities in Wisconsin, particularly in proximity to MCW’s location in Milwaukee where most of Wisconsin’s disparities exist.
- Advance cutting-edge cancer diagnosis and therapies: MCW is an international leader in the development of novel treatments for cancer including areas such as the delivery of magnetic resonance (MR) image guidance in delivery of radiation therapy for children and adults with cancer and the development of novel CAR-T cell therapies for patients.
- Advance clinical trials for children and adults with rare or severe forms of cancer: MCW is the leading institution in Wisconsin in the placement of children and adults with a cancer diagnosis on clinical trials which offers these children and adults with cancer the best chance of cure.
- Advance the cure of children with cancer: MCW has the largest number of pediatric cancer specialists in Wisconsin and this breadth and depth in pediatric expertise will be enhanced by the program building which will be enable by a new cancer research building.
- Reduce the after effects of those threated for their cancer: MCW is a national leader in research looking to decrease the overall negative impact of cancer treatments on children and adults and this additional research building will spur even greater expertise and innovation in this area.
“Healthier people throughout Wisconsin and beyond is the result of MCW’s long-standing partnership with the state of Wisconsin,” said John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, MCW President and CEO. “We look forward to working with the State Building Commission and the legislature in the coming months to advance this proposal.”
More about the 2019-2021 Wisconsin Budget
- Budget Committee Debates Stewardship Program - Danielle Kaeding - May 28th, 2019
- Republicans Refuse to Allow Votes on Budget Proposals to Help People Vote - One Wisconsin Now - May 14th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to GOP Rejection of Medicaid Expansion - State Rep. Robyn Vining - May 9th, 2019
- Gov. Evers’ Statement on Joint Finance Committee Action - Gov. Tony Evers - May 9th, 2019
- Leader Fitzgerald Applauds Joint Finance Committee Eliminating Over $1 Billion in Gov. Evers’ Tax Hikes - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - May 9th, 2019
- Scores of People Attend State Budget Hearing - Bridgit Bowden - Apr 6th, 2019
- Legislators Resist Many Evers Proposals - Laurel White - Apr 5th, 2019
- Republicans Call for Reset of Evers’ Budget - Shawn Johnson and Laurel White - Apr 4th, 2019
- Evers Budgets $78 Million for High Speed Internet - Danielle Kaeding - Mar 14th, 2019
- Evers Wants $2.5 Billion Capital Budget - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2019
- The Medical College of Wisconsin Applauds Governor Evers Commitment to Cancer Research - Medical College of Wisconsin - Mar 8th, 2019
- Evers Budget Overlooks Convention Center - Corri Hess - Mar 8th, 2019
- School Leaders Back Evers Funding Plan - John Davis - Mar 7th, 2019
- WILL Budget Explainer: The Administrative State - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 7th, 2019
- Governor Evers Makes Historic Investments in Health Care Coverage and Access - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 6th, 2019
- Evers’ Budget Allows Immigrants In-State Tuition - Phoebe Petrovic - Mar 6th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Who Will Win State Budget Battle? - Bruce Murphy - Mar 5th, 2019
- The State of Politics: Governor’s Veto Power Looms Large - Steven Walters - Mar 4th, 2019
- Rural and Urban School Districts Express Support for Governor Evers’ Budget - Milwaukee Public Schools - Mar 1st, 2019
- Governor Evers Budget Prioritizes Real People Living Real Lives - Wisconsin Alliance for Women’s Health - Mar 1st, 2019
- Coalition for More Responsible Transportation Members Applaud Gov. Evers’ Proposed Transportation Budget - Coalition for More Responsible Transportation - Mar 1st, 2019
- Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald Responds to Governor Evers’ Budget Address - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - Feb 28th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Statement on Governor’s Budget - State Rep. Dave Considine - Feb 28th, 2019
- Senator Craig Responds to Governor Evers’ Budget Address - State Sen. David Craig - Feb 28th, 2019
- Rep. Shankland Commends Governor Evers on The People’s Budget - State Rep. Katrina Shankland - Feb 28th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Cheers The People’s Budget - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Feb 28th, 2019
- Milwaukee Area Labor Council Reaction State Budget - Milwaukee Area Labor Council - Feb 28th, 2019
- Statement from Rep. Brostoff in Support of Gov. Evers’ Redistricting Plan - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Feb 28th, 2019
- The People’s Budget is a Win for Wisconsin - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 28th, 2019
- Rep. Mark Spreitzer Applauds Gov. Evers’s Budget Address - State Rep. Mark Spreitzer - Feb 28th, 2019
- Gov. Tony Evers’ Budget Plan: Progress on Solutions for Student Loan Borrowers and Protections for Wisconsin Voter Rights - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 28th, 2019
- Governor Evers Gives 2019-21 Biennial Budget Address - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 28th, 2019
- MacIver Responds To Reporters Being Barred From Evers Budget Briefing - MacIver Institute - Feb 28th, 2019
- AFP-WI: Evers Education Budget Doesn’t Prioritize Student Success - AFP Wisconsin - Feb 28th, 2019
- Evers’ Budget Will Include Nonpartisan Redistricting Process - Shawn Johnson - Feb 27th, 2019
- Representative Subeck Applauds Governor Evers’ Plan to Ensure Fair Election Maps - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Feb 26th, 2019
- Rep. Robyn Vining Embraces Gov. Evers’ Inclusion of Redistricting in Budget - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Feb 26th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Announces Tribal Initiatives in State Budget - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 26th, 2019
- Governor Evers’ Budget Targets School Choice: What You Need to Know - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 25th, 2019
- The State of Politics: 10 Issues to Watch in Evers Budget - Steven Walters - Feb 25th, 2019
- Evers Signals Gas Tax In His Budget - Danielle Kaeding - Feb 13th, 2019
- Evers Budget Will ‘Put Kids First’ - Shawn Johnson - Jan 30th, 2019
- Evers Wants Voucher Costs on Tax Bills - Shawn Johnson - Jan 3rd, 2019
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Medical College of Wisconsin
Local Researcher Named 2019 Cullen Healthy Heart Scholar; 23rd Annual Cullen Run Raises $41,285 for Cardiovascular ResearchJun 18th, 2019 by Medical College of Wisconsin
Alison Kriegel, PhD, is the recipient of the 2019 Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Scholar Award.
The JFC voted on June 11th, 2019 to include a $10 million State Building Commission grant for the facility, to be located on the MCW Milwaukee campus.
Adina Luba Kalet, MD, MPH, Named Director of the Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical EducationMay 21st, 2019 by Medical College of Wisconsin
NYU professor of medicine and surgery joins the Medical College of Wisconsin on Sept. 1